Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fourth Annual Donut Party!


Last night was our fourth annual donut party. (Or partay, as Lance and I have taken to calling it. Because this is turning into one serious shindig.)

We did a few things differently this year. First, we had a theme: ZOMBIES! Second, we cooked and glazed all of the donuts beforehand, rather than doing it during the party. (Some people were sad they couldn't glaze their own donuts. Thoughts? Votes one way or the other?) And third, it was held on a Friday night instead of the usual Saturday, which I don't know if it made any difference or not, but there you go.

But most everything else was the same as usual. Monsterous amounts of donuts where consumed. (I forgot to count how many donuts - but I made three batches, so that's A LOT. How much? Well, that's 30 cups of flour, people.) We played a few games and people won fabulous prizes. And I forgot to take enough pictures. Ah, tradition.

But I did remember to take a few. Like this one, of the spread just before the undead (I mean, our guests) started gobbling them up. Notice the punch bowl? I love that punch bowl so much. (This year we had a green frozen brain in with the apple juice. Mmmm... brain.) The sign explains how to fill your own donut.


Oh wait, here's a close up of it. (I mounted all of the signs on cardstock like this. I think it looked cute!)


Here's where the zombie quiz, guess the confetti game, and kid toys could be found. (The glow bracelets were a huge hit - big surprise.)


Here's a copy of our Zombie quiz. It's a good thing we had this - a lot of people really needed to brush up on their zombie knowledge. (When the zombie outbreak occurs I'm not hangin' out with Melissa T. - she didn't get a single answer right!)

In the interested of higher learning we also had some zombie fun facts.


People were also kinda bad at guessing how many pieces of confetti were in the jar. (Okay, maybe I need to have easier games next year...)


Here's Spencer the Spider. Ferocious, no? (More detail on the costume on Monday.) Oh - those aren't horns on his head - they're spider fangs. Duh.


And here's Josh, the cowardly lion. In typical two-year-old fashion he kinda wigged out about the large crowds and wanted to be held most of the evening. Ferocious? No.


Heidi, Margot, and Andrea (and my arch-bunco-nemesis, Eli).


A few members of the Culver family.


The Crooks, who have never been known to turn down a free homeade donut. Ever.


Clark Kent and Peter Pan testing out Spencer's bunk bed. (I'm still impressed you dyed Sam's hair, Ginger!)


Paul and Misty - Paul won the Zombie Quiz with his answer that "Zombies are... what the LANers are like after a LAN party." Hey, the man knew how to cater to the judge. (That would be me.)


It was a full house. (And it got even fuller than this.) We either need to buy a bigger house or get rid of some of our friends. I'm voting for the first one.


My costume consisted of plastic ants glued to my face with eyelash glue. (The computer glow makes it all the more eerie, right?)


And finally, our annual Halloween Family picture. I'm still impressed by how many people thought that we had actually dressed up like zombies for the picture. (Of course, these people also probably think all celebrities really do have perfect bodies and that all photos forwarded to them are real.) Behold the power of Photoshop, people!


Thanks to everyone who came. We really do enjoy having this party, mainly because our friends make it so fun!

4 comments:

beSlightlyAskew said...

I would never have guessed you went through 30 cups of flour. Holy CRAP! That's A LOT! I thought it was cool you had the donuts all premade. That way you weren't stuck in the kitchen! It was a fabulous party. The true test? Zach went right to sleep and Jason seemed almost remiss that he didn't come.

ashley.and.graham said...

so sad that we can no longer make it to the famous donut party. graham and i decided that next year we're totally ripping off your ideas (love the zombie theme) and having the halloween donut party baton rouge edition ... if that's ok with you ;). everything looked fantastic as usual!

Maren said...

Margot - my goal for next year will now be getting Jason to come. :) Glad you had such a fun time!

Ashley - please do have your own donut party. The world will be a better place. :) (Although you'll have to find your own recipe... :)

Kerry said...

I am sad. I want to come to Maren's donut party.I really needed that this week! Maybe one of these years we'll get back there to visit!It looked like it was a hit like always!