Monday, May 21, 2012

I Am The Laminator

Today I finally got something I've been wanting/needing for a long time: a laminating machine.

I know.  I live a fantastically wild and exciting life.

But seriously, I cannot count the number of times I've thought "I wish I could laminate this" while working on one project or another.  But I never got around to buying one.

Well, a few weeks ago Lance and I decided to do something that we swore up and down we would never do: drive to Utah.  Yeah, so it's pretty easy to swear up and down that you'll never drive to Utah when you only have one or two kids and airline tickets don't cost an arm and leg.  But when you have four kids and are faced with the prospect spending $4000 for plane tickets, baggage fees, and renting a mini van?  Well, let's just say we're willing to take back that little promise.  (Oh, we were so young and foolish once!)  ((Let's just hope some day in the future I don't say the same thing about driving to Utah...))

Anywho, I kept finding tons of great ideas for keeping kids occupied on car trips, but most of them required laminated paper.  So I finally broke down and shelled out the $30 for a little machine. (Extravagant, I know!)  It finally came today and I tested it out on a little comic strip I have on the fridge.

Man.  Laminating is fun.  I know, I'm a dork.  But I don't care.  It's all I can do not to go around and laminate everything I can get my hands on!  I'm practicing a little self-restraint for now.  But just wait until July and I get into full road trip prep mode.

Okay, and totally unrelated, but not really: do you think I could trust Spencer and Josh with dry erase markers on the trip?  Do you think they would only use them on their laminated pieces of paper, and not, say, the seat belts?  These are questions to ponder...

7 comments:

Ginger said...

This is hilarious....because I really want a laminator too, but I don't have one.

I would trust Spencer with markers in the car. Maybe if you only get the markers out for a limited amount of time in the car. Like "for the next 30 minutes we're playing this game". Then take the markers back.

I did the same thing on our car trip to Wyoming a year ago, but I used a glossy page protector to cover the games. The markers were able to erase easily enough off those. Man, I'm so cheap.

Rachel said...

Good luck on your trip. We took a road trip last summer. I'm not a fan but I hate them a lot less than the $1000s for plane tickets.

A word of caution. Crayola has a relatively new product out - Dry Erase Crayons. Do NOT get them. They write just fine but are a major pain to erase. Serious elbow grease to erase a small section.

Laura said...

No, don't trust them with dry erase in the car. I have learned by experience on long road trips to TX, I give them only pencils or colored pencils. There's not much permanent damage they cam do with those.

Kanien said...

I totally want one too! Just a heads up, they now have washable dry erase markers now no need to worry. I have some and love them. You will have a fun drive, since I am heading out before you, I will let you know all the sweet places to stop along the way.

Kerry said...

When are you going to Utah? If your route takes you through Kansas City, you are welcome to stay the night if you need to! I think we are about 8 hours from Lafayette...just in case, you are certainly welcome! We love having company!

Maren said...

I thought a post about a laminator would be boring - who knew I had so many kindred spirits out there? :) @Kanien - Thanks for the tip about the washable markers. I think I'll test those out.

@Kerry - thanks for the offer, but we're going to spend the night somewhere in the middle of Nebraska. We're trying to make the drive into two twelve hour days. I'll just have to come up with some other excuse to come to Kansas!

BrianG said...

Wave as you go through Iowa. Feel free to stop and let the kids stretch their legs at our house. If you need a place to stay for the night, we have a spare bedroom