Sunday, April 23, 2017

Tess's 6th Birthday

Tess turned 6 on Tuesday. What the what?! I swear she was just born the other day. Or was a grouchy toddler last week. (Well, she was grouchy. Just not two. Some phases are hard to grow out of.)

The morning started early, much like the morning of her birth... I think Tess was just really excited for her birthday. She was up before Spencer! So I whipped up her special birthday pancakes and put the "6" candle on for her. She was super excited until I began to sing. She did not appreciate it.


She decided to pretend to go back to sleep.


Then the flame was just "too hot". Good grief.


Finally she deigned to blow out her candle and eat breakfast!


Instead of the usual streamers in the kitchen I made tissue paper flowers. (She was having a flower birthday party.) She loved it. It's amazing what you can do with $8 of tissue paper and some fishing line!


I let her open the gift from Grandpa ElRay and Grandma Susie that morning. (Notice the wet hair. She could open the gift first, but then had to finish getting ready.)


Hooray! It's the Shopkins pool party set she had been wanting! Woo-hoo!


After we dried her hair we of course had to open and play with it.



Tess also got a bike for her birthday. Even though it has training wheels, Tess refuses to ride it. (We'll work more on that this week.) She does, however, ADORE the bike helmet she picked out.


Ooh boy, has there ever been a more Tessie bike helmet? I think not.


That night's schedule was packed with piano lessons and baseball practice. But in between the two we snuck in a stop at Dairy Queen, Tess's choice for dinner. For whatever reason she got super grouchy at the end, and it was like we were the meanest parents in the world, making her actually eat her ice cream cone. (We didn't force her to; we just said if she wasn't going to eat it then, then we'd have to throw it away because it was melting everywhere.) She proceeded to get it all over her brand new shirt.


She opened more presents and was kind of a punk about them. "Painting?! But I don't like it!!" (Yes she does. She loves painting.)


"No. No more Mercy Watson." (She loves Mercy Watson. Mercy Watson is the best pig ever.)


Fortunately, she sweetened up later at home.

On Friday I had to make Tess's cake. I figured it wouldn't be too hard since I had made flower rosettes before. Tess requested strawberry cake with purple frosting. How hard could that be?

Turns out, purple is a hard frosting color for me to make. I have no idea why. I only know that after trying for quite a while I had frosting the color of concrete. It was awful! So I had to make an unexpected (and rather unpleasant) trip to Walmart for more red food coloring. (Walmart on a Friday? No thanks. Crowded, busy, lots of weirdos. Weirdos in work out clothes, who haven't showered yet that day and haven't done their hair. I fit right in.)

I was finally able to get this kind of purplish/rosish/winey color. The pictures don't quite show the color correctly. But it was pretty and Tess was satisfied!




Saturday was Tess's birthday. It was also family pictures in the morning, 2 baseball practices, and Spencer going to another party. It. Was. BUSY.


But Tess's party was only 90 minutes long and the girls were all pretty cute.


Tess was in her element, making bead and paper flower necklaces with her friends!


We played games like "Pin the Bee on the Flower", "Don't Eat Pete", and "Hot and Cold".


The girls really liked "Don't Eat Pete". No one had ever played it before!


The cake and ice cream was enjoyed by all!


Tess got lots of Shopkins and girly things, like unicorn head pillows. Oh my goodness, she loves that unicorn head pillow!


You can see the girls all wanted in on the action!


She also got this little bird that whistles 58 different songs. Good grief. And of course, she loves it.


Tess, you bring such sunshine and silliness to our family. Girls are so very different from boys in some ways, and I'm so happy they are! And I'm so very happy that you're a part of our family!

No comments: