Friday, March 9, 2012

Mystery Pain: Update

Today I finally broke down and went to the doctor about my mystery pain.  To be honest, I was getting a bit nervous about the whole thing.  And who can blame me, given my family's sordid history with with cancer and such?  (My mom was diagnosed with cancer at 39.  Thirty-nine.  That's only 5 years away for me.)

Anywho, I went to my general practitioner, who took a really good history, asked a lot of questions about my symptoms and lifestyle, and then got to work poking and prodding me.

Verdict?

I have a deep muscle tear.

Wait, what?

I mean, one would think that I would have felt my muscle being torn.  But what probably happened was that I injured it and then it got a bit worse over time. 

We talked about it, and I realized that this was probably all Cole's fault.

This is probably not the last time in my life that I will be using that phrase.

Anyways, Cole has a bad habit of jumping on people when they're on the floor.  In his eyes, if you're laying down you're fair game for a battle royal wrestling match.  Quite frankly, the child jumps on me every single time I'm at aerobics.  (Which I try to get to 3 times a week.  Not that you can tell, but hey, I go!) The doctor agreed that a toddler elbow to the abdomen could very well have caused this. So there's every possibility that that's what happened last Monday.

At first I felt a sense of relief that it wasn't anything more serious.  Then I thought "Wait, I paid $25 for a muscle tear?"  But then again, $25 is very reasonable for peace of mind, right?

So I've been prescribed to basically not do anything to aggravate it, which means I'm going to have to find some sort of low impact exercise.  Watch out, Lance - I feel some Dance Dance Revolution battles coming on!

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Well, I'm glad that it was only a muscle tear and not cancer. I have a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 weeks ago. She's 32. I couldn't take it if you were too.

Ack, sorry to be a downer...

Angie said...

Definitely think 25 bucks is worth peace of mind! Glad it wasn't anything more serious. Take care of yourself and wishing you a quick recovery. I know how hard that is with a little one. Laying in the floor around here puts you as fair game to my little fella too :)

Have a good weekend!