Friday, March 30, 2012

Rice Crispie Treat DEATH MATCH Trial Recipe: Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana

So I have around 854 cousins on my dad's side of the family.  They are all, in a word, awesome. Unfortunately, we are spread out around the country and rarely get to see each other.  Through the magic of the interwebs we've been able to keep up with and get to know each other pretty well.  But it's not quite the same as being together.  Fortunately, there's a Roper family reunion every other year where we can spend some face time together.

A few months ago I posted something about rice crispie treats on Facebook.  I can't even remember what it was about, but I'm sure it was in praise of them.  (I'm a big fan.)  My cousin, Jen, begged to differ, saying she didn't even really like rice crispie treats - except for scotcharoos.  

Blasphemy.

First of all, if done right, rice crispie treats are YUMMY. They're light and sweet and crispy and gooey all at the same time!  They aren't seasonal - they're good any time of year.  Plus, they're super-easy to make.  Oh - and have you noticed?  They're always the first desert to be finished at any sort of ward function.

Second, scotcharoos are gross.  Mainly because they have butterscotch in them and I'm not a fan of butterscotch.  At all.

(Side note: that is a lie.  I do like a scant handful of butterscotch chips in my pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.  But that really is the only time I like butterscotch.  Blech.)

(Another side note: for some unknown reason, butterscotch is really hard for me to type.  I keep making mistakes and having to fix it.  This makes me like it even less.)

Even though I wasn't insulting Jen's scotcheroos, but rather all scotcheroos in general, Jen took offense to my comments.

Words were spoken.  (Er... typed.)

Threats were made.

Oaths sworn.

And thus, the Rice Crispie Treat DEATH MATCH was born!  It was decided that we will bring our best rice crispie treats to the reunion and then let the judges decide whose is best.

Nevermind the fact that we don't really have judges yet.  Nor have we decided if we will bring just one pan, or enough for all 397 of us Ropers.  And I don't know that anyone has told Aunt Valerie about this, and she's the one in charge of the reunion this year.  Has anyone told Aunt Valerie?

Nevermind.  It doesn't matter.

Because I am bound and determined to win. 

BOUND AND DETERMINED!!!

My cousin Jen (of Jen's Favorite Cookie fame) claims that the winner of this contest will win bragging rights.

I laugh at bragging rights!  I scoff at them!  No - I plan on winning something much better:
ETERNAL FAME AND GLORY!!!

That's right, people.  This mess just got real, yo.

Ahem.

Anywho, in order to win this eternal fame and glory I have decided to search out the best rice crispie treat recipe I can find.  So far my running favorite is the s'mores rice crispie treats I made last summer for national s'mores day.  But what if an even better recipe is out there, just waiting for me to find it?

So for the next few months, each Friday I will be testing out a new recipe or two and blogging about the results.  Needless to say, Lance is most pleased with this turn of events.

This week's recipe?  Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Rice Crispie squares, found via Pinterest and on this website.

Chocolate, peanut butter, and banana are arguably one of the best flavor trifectas in dessertdom.  And since rice crispie treats are like the tofu of the dessert world (they can take on just about any flavor), I figured this would translate well.

I made the rice crispie layer with no problem. But when I started making the top layer, I knew this recipe had issues.  Specifically, I'm pretty sure the topping layer's ingredients measurements are way off - as in, too low.  Just look at how thick their layer is:


And look at mine:


And, yes, I quadruple checked everything.  Oh well.

(Side note: notice how I added the title of the recipe to the picture.  I think it's some sort of blogging law or something now...)

But how the treat looks doesn't so much matter as how it tastes.

Verdict?  Pretty darn good.  The banana flavor came through a lot more strongly than I thought it would.  In fact, it reminded me very much of a peanut butter and banana sandwich, with a hint of chocolate thrown in for good measure.  Very tasty.

But award winning?  DEATH MATCH winning?  Probably not.  Besides, these treats require refrigeration, which probably wouldn't work too well at a camping family reunion.

Bring on the next contender!!

4 comments:

Jen @ Jens Favorite Cookies said...

I notice how after you bashed my scotcheroos (which by the way only have butterscotch in the frosting) you went right to a peanut butter and chocolate combination, which is exactly what scotcheroos are. 'Nuff said.

I'm glad to know that when I win, it will be more than bragging rights!

Maren said...

Obviously, I don't have a problem with the peanut butter and chocolate combo in scotcheroos - it's the butterscotch. I don't care where the butterscotch is: frosting, crispies, on the side... I don't like it. Blech.

Jen said...

I actually can't say I blame you. Butterscotch pudding is one of the nastiest things I have ever eaten. Reminds me of a nursing home or a mental hospital. Nasty. On the other hand, butterscotch chips in an oatmeal cookie is seriously delish. Also butterscotch blonde brownies.

Kyle Roper said...

Since we all know that the younger cousins will eat just about anything rice crispy related, you should leave the judging to cousins of a more refined palate. Family reunion just might be a bit more interesting what with the promise of a death match and all.