Friday, October 18, 2013

Freezin' at the Pumpkin Patch

On Thursday my friend Deidra set up a little field trip to Throckmorton Farms for a group of us.  Throckmorton Farms is a Purdue Research farm.  They grow all sorts of things and when they're done researching them they let you come and pick what  you want.  It's a pretty sweet deal.

It was a stormy-ish morning, but didn't seem that bad, so after Tess and I dropped Cole off at preschool we headed out to the farm.  At the last minute I decided to grab my old gardening shoes just in case.  Wish I had grabbed more than that - I was woefully unprepared. It turned out to be much colder, much wetter, and much muddier than I imagined it would be!

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on who you are), I wasn't the only mom who was unprepared.  So at least Tess and I weren't alone in our chilliness.  As we got onto the trailer we were going to ride I noticed I was the only mom without a bag of some sort.  I guess that's what happens when you're out and about with your youngest of four.  I'm really regretting it now.


Not that anything bad happened!  I just wish we had had some bags for all the free produce we were offered.  Oh well.  Tess loved riding on the trailer, despite the rain and wind.  It made me realize how rarely I get time with just her to do fun things like this - we usually run errands or do housework while Cole is at preschool.  I really need to think of more fun things to do with just her.


Tess was pretty excited to pick her first pumpkin!


Then she got muddy.  And more muddy.  And then she was tired of holding her pumpkin and only wanted to hold the umbrella.  So I picked a few more pumpkins and got good and muddy.  We got to pick a few gorgeous apples as well, but since I didn't have a bag I didn't get too many.  Too bad.

Tess and I cuddled and shivered all the way back - it's rare she lets me hold her for any length of time, so I enjoyed it while I could!

The farm was pretty neat. Lots of different trees and other produce. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been so cold and wet.  Oh well - next year.  Now - time to think of some other mommy/daughter activities for Tess and I this winter!

No comments: