The poor child spent half of the morning in the bathroom, but swearing up and down that he wanted to go to school. Then he decided he didn't want to go to school. Then his stomach started hurting. Then he started feeling better and begged and begged to go to school, but I wouldn't let him.
Me: What if you got sick at school?
Josh: I won't. I don't care.
Me: What if you still have germs that get your friends sick?
Josh: I won't. I don't care.
Me: What if you get Miss Anderson sick?
Josh: Wha...? I...? No! I don't want her to get sick! My tummy hurts - I want to lay down.
How cute is that? He sure loves both his teacher and school.
Even though I know he was sick this morning, as I write this he is fighting with Cole over the iPad, acting (and feeling) 100% healthy. I guess I could take him to school now, but that seems kinda weird. Besides, who knows what kind of bug he has? He could totally be puking in the next hour. (I really hope not.)
Random side note: When I was in the first grade I got pneumonia and was out of school for at least a week, probably more. I was so anxious to get back to school that I totally faked feeling better. My mom fell for it and let me go back. I was in class for all of 20 minutes before I started throwing up all over the place. I still remember I was standing next to my teacher's desk and I could tell I was going to be sick and I tried to hold it in with my hands. (Gross!) This was not my teacher's first rodeo, so she had a garbage can ready before things got too out of hand.
Now that I think about it, that's the same class where the kid sitting next to me was always leaning back in his chair and the teacher was always getting after him for it. And then one day, BAM! He fell backwards and - and I am not making this up - BIT OFF HALF OF HIS TONGUE!!! I was sitting to the left of him and still remember it clear as day. That teacher didn't miss a beat. She swooped him up and carried the wailing boy down the hall, leaving a bloody trail all the way down. All 20+ of us crowded around the door, watching, not daring to leave but definitely not sitting down, either.
This is why children leaning back in chairs was one of my pet peeves when I was Primary President. No way did I want to have to deal with bitten off tongues!!
But I digress.
The point it, Josh loves school and so did I.
Since he wasn't dying I figured he'd be okay coming with me to take Cole to preschool. As we drove up we all ooohed and aahhhed - there were tons of pumpkins of all shapes, sizes, and colors at the entrance and inside.
This is my kind of preschool.
Cole and I admired them all as we walked to his class; he was really quite pleased with them. (That's my boy!) Turns out that Exploration Acres (the Corn Maze) had lots of extras and randomly gave them to the preschool. When I went to pick Cole up there were signs that said we could take pumpkins home with us.
This is really my kind of preschool.
Only problem? Cole FREAKED OUT at the idea of taking pumpkins home. I literally had to drag him out to the car, him screaming and fighting the whole way. "NO TAKE PUMPKINS HOME!!! WE CAN'T! WE CAN'T!!!"
Seriously child. When someone says you can have free pumpkins you take the free pumpkins!
I suspect his teachers had told them not to touch or bother the pumpkins, so he naturally thought that rule extended to us. In fact, I'm fairly certain he thought we were stealing the pumpkins from his preschool.
Pumpkin thievery!
He cried and yelled most of the way home, but all of a sudden he stopped and just let the matter go. Perhaps he thought we had gotten away with it? No more worrying about getting caught? Who knows what goes on in the mind of a crazy four year old.
I only took two pumpkins because I only have two arms and one of them was in use as a preschooler wrangler. Plus, everyone else was only taking one or two, and I didn't want to look like the crazy pumpkin lady with five or six pumpkins. (Although, let's face it, "crazy pumpkin lady" pretty much nails me.)
I got one cute little orange pumpkin and a really cool pinkish one.
I just love it! Those stripes are so cool. Josh wants to carve it for Halloween, but I suspect this one will be around for quite a while in a place of honor in the house.
And for the record? I would never just steal a pumpkin from the preschool. Oh, I would think about it. But I would never actually do it, despite what Cole thinks.
No comments:
Post a Comment