Saturday, September 3, 2016

Prophetstown Death March

Today I had the crazy idea to go to Prophetstown State Park for a little hiking with my family. (I use the term hiking generously. Glorified country walking is more like it.) The weather was beautiful, it's a three day weekend, my kids are all old enough to walk a bit...

Bad idea.

Seriously, you'd have thought I was forcing them on a death march. Sure, we walked just over two miles, but still. It was flat. On grass. And it was beautiful. A little warm in the sun, a little buggy in the shade. But nothing horrific.

At least, not in my mind. In the minds of my kids? HORRIFIC.

It started in the car. At one point both Josh and Spencer were crying. We're still a little unsure why. But still. Tears.

Then, when we actually got there and started our walk, Josh kept running ahead and Cole kept FREAKING OUT. I thought we were done with this phase. Nope. If he couldn't see Josh, it was THE END OF THE WORLD. Even when Lance and I explained that we weren't worried about Josh, and that if we were we'd make sure he'd stay right by us. Nope. Cole was sure Josh would get lost forever.  And he let us know this. Loudly. The entire time. *sigh*


Lance trying to calm Cole down. It didn't work.


At this point none of my kids wanted anyone else to talk to them, but they kept making remarks to each other. I mean, really? All of you just hush. But nope. Someone always had something to say. I told Josh to walk more mopey, since that was how he was acting. He was not amused.


It was at this point that I decided we really should have just left the kids home. It would have been so pleasant with just Lance and myself! Also, look how beautiful it was - 80 degrees, slight breeze, puffy clouds. Idyllic. Except for those little imps of Satan children of ours.


I think this was about the halfway point. Josh wore this face pretty much the entire trip.


Tess was constantly "tired of walking", but had no problems climbing and jumping and playing around during our little breaks.


All three played on this rock...


... while this one scowled.


Spencer kept going back and forth. He'd be fine and even happy, but then make some comment to one of his siblings and get yelled at. Oy.


During our last break we discovered a hornet's nest under the bench. Everyone ran away and thankfully no one got stung. (That would've been fun.)

The walk ended as all our walking adventures do: with Lance and Spencer far ahead while I bring up the rear with all the stragglers/whiners/children who walk right in front of you and slow down or just randomly stop. It was a joy.

You'd think their reactions would make me swear off walking trips like this forever. But nope, this just makes me think I need to plan more of these forced marches. What wimpy kids I have! Good thing they're so stinkin' cute.

No comments: