Thursday, April 6, 2017

Blue & Gold Banquet 2017

Last night was the Blue & Gold Banquet. It was Josh's last one - which he claimed he was fine with, and generally had a bad attitude about until we got there. Then he had a blast. Lance didn't get to come because mutual was up at the Stake Center and our ward apparently doesn't believe in correlating calendars and thinking about families with older and younger kids. What do they do during Ward Correlation? It's a mystery. Yes, I am bitter about this. (Also, yes, we tried to get Spencer a ride. There are only so many people on this side of town to ask...)

However, even without Lance it was a nice evening. Dinner was good and my kids are getting old enough that the prospect of a buffet dinner without two adults isn't quite so daunting. And I gave up long ago trying to get my kids to eat a balanced meal at functions like this. If Cole wants to eat rolls, Cheetos, and 6 cookies for dinner, so be it. This is not a battle worth fighting.

They of course played the game where you tie a balloon to your ankle and then try to stomp everyone else's balloon. It's a 3rd ward Cub Scout favorite.


After dinner they had little activities for the kids. One was a presentation on getting your Arrow of Light. They played real marbles at another. (Tess and Josh were pretty into it.)


Also, now that I think of it, Tess and Josh were in one group and Cole was in another, and Cole was just fine with that. Totally independent and playing well and having a grand time. Wow! A year ago that would have been unheard of.


Any activity that blindfolds Josh is good in my book. They had a fun time guiding each other and then earning candy at the end.


Earlier that afternoon I had jumped onto ScoutTrack (the website our pack uses) to see how much Josh needs to finish before turning 11 in September. (Since we don't usually have scouts in the summer we end up finishing all of his requirements at home. It works out well.) So I got on only to realize that the system still thinks he's in Bear. What the what?

That night I spoke to his den leader, who freely admitted he doesn't use ScoutTrack. Okay, I kinda understand that, but did he have any written records of what Josh had done.

Nope.

But hey, we were free to join them for their Webelos hike this Saturday. Um, NO. Josh has already done that hike. Twice. And if you had the records you would know that.

@#$@#^@*#%%**!!!!

Fortunately, his leader is also our home teacher. So we came to an understanding that he would come over this Sunday and we would figure things out. Because this is not okay. And Josh deserves better.

Not only that, but none of the Webelos got any of their badges or awards that night either, because their leaders didn't turn in their reports some time. And as I sat there feeling bad for poor Josh (while he was up front), I realized that the same thing had happened at the last THREE pack meetings. Only I had never really thought much of it. Oh you better believe I'm thinking about it now.

Gosh dang it. Every time I think Cub Scouts and I can put aside our differences and forget our tempestuous past, something like this happens. I just can't quit you, Cub Scouts. At least not until Cole turns 11. *sigh*

1 comment:

Gigi said...

Logan never did get his Arrow of Light... and it still bugs me when I think about it.