Sunday, December 3, 2017

Thanksgiving 2017

This year we did something we haven't done in a few years - we stayed home for Thanksgiving! What with all the traveling I did this fall and the big Europe trip, we decided staying home was probably for the best. (Especially for our bank account!)

We had our good friends the Souths over, and it was just like no time at all had passed since we had seen them last. Our kids played well together and there was never a lag in the conversation. (Especially because Misty and Paul had gone to Italy last spring!)

This year I decided to try the Pioneer Woman's Turkey brine. It did not disappoint - in fact, the whole house smelled heavenly for a few hours after I had brought it to a boil. That recipe is definitely a keeper!


I also made my most favorite stuffing in the world. It's not cooked here, so it looks a little pale, but trust me - it's heavenly. Heavenly enough for me to buy about a 1/4 of $28.99/pound pine nuts! Yikes. (But so worth it.)


I even made a couple of pies. In fact, I made 6 pies, but 4 were for the LUM Thanksgiving dinner. I hate making pies, so you know that was a sacrifice! I made 2 pumpkin and 2 peach for LUM, then pumpkin chiffon and Georgia Peach for us. It was delish, if I say so myself.


We ate downstairs because that's the room that fits us all!


The only hitch to the evening? The very sitcom-worthy fact that the turkey didn't cook in time! What the what?!!? I had been baking the turkey and pulled out and the thermometer said it was done. But about an hour later when I went to carve it? Pinkness.


#$^$%&#%^#%$!!!!

Fortunately, we also made a ham, so we didn't have a vegetarian Thanksgiving. The turkey was only 12 pounds, but it took close to 4 hours to fully cook! I have no idea what happened; this was not my first time making one and I followed the directions. Oh well. It finished about the time the Souths were leaving, go figure.

I will say this, though - that turkey was GOOD. I'm not even that big of a turkey fan, but it was tasty. We enjoyed it all week! *nom*nom*nom*


We had a great time and were glad we could be at home with our friends, but all us agreed that we liked skipping Thanksgiving even more. I like all the one-on-one fun time with my kids and not having to cook. My kids like the water slides and swimming and sleeping at a hotel. I think Lance is pretty much happy anywhere. So next year I suspect we will be celebrating in our bathing suits!

No comments: