Anybody who knows me well knows that in the past I have had issues with my name. (I'm over them now, really! It's everyone else who has the problem!) Ahem. Anyway.
You can imagine my delight and surprise when I started reading a novel with a main character named Maren. (The book is The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve, my latest author obsession. I've read just about all of her books now and they've all been really good. Okay, some better than others, some really great, but all good enough to finish. You know what I mean? And who recommended Anita Shreve to me? Was it you, Ashley? Thank you thank you!)
But back to the important stuff.
I found a book. With my name in it! Woo-hoo! I was so excited to get into it and discover how great this Maren was. Because if her name was Maren, she had to be great, right?
Um, yeah...
Okay, in this lady's lifetime she:
- Had a sister who hated her
- Watched her mother die in childbirth
- Married a man she didn't love
- Immigrated from Norway to the U.S. in the late 1800's
- Lived on a small island off the coast of New Hampshire
- Had an incestuous relationship with her brother
- Ended up going crazy and killing her sister and sister-in-law
- Framed an innocent man for the killings
Yeah, so that Maren's life was the exact opposite of mine. And in her defense, she had a pretty rough time of things. By the end I wasn't too surprised she went a little nutso with the axe.
Not that my life is all peachy-keen. Just in the past hour I have had to put a certain rocket-armed toddler in time out three times for throwing Duplo blocks at my head. And the third time he grinned at me with that evil toddler grin of his, knowing full well what he had done. It's a good thing we don't have an axe around here is all I'm sayin'.
Still, it was pretty cool to see my name in print.

Not that my life is all peachy-keen. Just in the past hour I have had to put a certain rocket-armed toddler in time out three times for throwing Duplo blocks at my head. And the third time he grinned at me with that evil toddler grin of his, knowing full well what he had done. It's a good thing we don't have an axe around here is all I'm sayin'.
Still, it was pretty cool to see my name in print.
4 comments:
when i was taking my break when we first moved to lafayette (no cable tv) I read tons of her books. always very interesting ... sometimes in a very weird way. glad you're enjoying them.
ashley
So there is a Maren in my ward. She teaches the 5 year olds. I teach the 6 six year olds. Therefore she sits in front of me and I asked her what her name is...
Maren.
I told her about you.
Liz - I'm a little scared to think of what you told the other Maren. (And that's who she'll be from now on - the 'other Maren'.)
I guess it sounds bad how I wrote it...I told her about you.
I just mentioned I had a friend in Indiana whose name is Maren. And that your blog is Maren, Like Karen with an "M". Maybe I'll tell her your bunko gangsta name next. Hmmm.
Post a Comment