Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Inexperienced Parents


For the past month or so Josh has been waking up in the middle of the night, crying, freaking out, and causing general mayhem. His reasons range from being hungry to being scared to just wanting Mommy.

Waking up with a scared or sick child doesn't bother me too much - as long as the child is willing to go back to sleep.

Josh is not.

In the middle of the night he becomes even more stubborn, insolent, and challenging than his usual self. (I didn't think that was possible, but it is.) Trying to reason with him is like trying to reason with an insane person. A really insane person. Who speaks a different language.

It's like experiencing the seventh circle of hell. Only more miserable.

Unfortunately, the middle of the night is not my best time right now. I'm tired. Tired. And nauseous. And I usually have to pee. I just don't have the stamina to deal. So I'm the parent who would rather just give in to all his demands just to get him back into bed. Unfortunately, Josh takes advantage of this and won't go back to bed for me.

Enter Daddy, the enforcer. I'm not quite sure what goes on in there. Josh cries a lot and I hear a lot of "Joshie, go back to bed." But he gets him to stay in bed and sleep. So poor Lance has been on Joshie duty.

I've been racking my brain, trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with this kid. And finally tonight I randomly thought, "I wonder if he's getting some molars."

After a stern "DON'T BITE ME" and a quick rubdown of his gums, it was confirmed: he's teething!

I feel kinda stupid. It's not as if I'm a completely inexperienced parent. Just where Josh is concerned, I guess.

Anywho, he got a good dose of Ibuprofen before bed tonight; let's hope it will be a good sleep for all concerned.

3 comments:

Ginger said...

Seriously this happened to me a couple weeks ago. Leah is still not sleeping great. She needs a nap like crazy, but won't sleep at night if she gets one. I felt pretty dumb too.

ashley.and.graham said...

ok, so when do you give the meds? I finally gave eden some at bedtime last night b/c she was so fussy and her second tooth had just come in. but tonight she went to sleep fine so no dose. two nights ago, went to sleep fine, no dose, but woke up crazy upset. anyhow, what's your strategy?

The Holdaway's said...

Meghan's working on some teeth right now too and is unbearable. Motrin at least makes it a little more bearable... At least this stage will pass (hopefully soon)...