Christmas came early for Lance and I. 2:30am early. In the form of a smoke detector beeping every 60 seconds because of a low battery. Baaaa!! Very annoying. Even better is that the alarm is at just about the tallest point on our vaulted ceiling, so it's not easily reached at all. Luckily, Lance thinks better than I do in the middle of the night, so he had the mind to go get a broom and use the handle to disable the battery. I love Lance, especially when he turns off smoke detectors in the middle of the night for me.
I worried for half a second about the chances of having a fire that night and being burned alive because our alarm was off. Then I worried about how hungry I was, because when I'm pregnant and really wake up in the middle of the night I get so hungry I could throw up. (If you've ever been pregnant, you'll understand that last statement.) But I was really tired and cozy and I didn't want to get up. But what I was truly worried about was waking up the boys with all this commotion.
Because 2:30am or not, if the boys woke up there'd be no way on earth we'd be able to go back to bed until after opening all the presents.
Anyways.
Everything was fine. The boys woke us up at a respectable 7:30am, excited about the toys and the gifts and the magic that accompanies Christmas morning when you're a child.
First we had to open the 'little presents' from Santa that were in our stockings. I like how bedraggled Lance looks. :)
Because 2:30am or not, if the boys woke up there'd be no way on earth we'd be able to go back to bed until after opening all the presents.
Anyways.
Everything was fine. The boys woke us up at a respectable 7:30am, excited about the toys and the gifts and the magic that accompanies Christmas morning when you're a child.
First we had to open the 'little presents' from Santa that were in our stockings. I like how bedraggled Lance looks. :)
Spencer played 'Santa's Helper' and gave everybody their gifts from under the tree. We had to repeatedly explain to him that the person with the most gifts does not 'win'. This is a very hard concept for a competitive five year old.
During this, Josh played with what is now already his beloved piggy. He loves that pig. He drug it everywhere with him today, hugging it and playing and singing with it.
During this, Josh played with what is now already his beloved piggy. He loves that pig. He drug it everywhere with him today, hugging it and playing and singing with it.
He loved it so much he had to do a Pig Jig. Now look at that child dance and tell me that's not a physical representation of the magic of Christmas morning?
Santa went a little crazy this year and gave Spencer a Nerf gun. He (Santa) must be suffering from pregnancy insanity. Spencer was in heaven.
Joshie couldn't be bothered to open his presents. He just wanted to play with whatever was already open. I should have just stuck all his gifts in one big box and let him open that. (Note to self for next two year old at Christmas...)
A definite favorite gift this year was the Star Wars loot from Grandpa ElRay and Grandma Susie. The Darth Vader voice changer is a hoot!
Even Vader Daddy got in on the action.
Thank goodness they sent two light sabers. Because two Jedi Knights but only one light saber would definitely turn some people (most likely parents) to the dark side.
After gifts we sat down to a hearty Christmas morning breakfast: baked blueberry cream cheese french toast with homemade blueberry syrup. And by 'we' I mean Lance and I. Spencer and Josh wouldn't touch the stuff.
I put all that effort into a yummy breakfast, and those two goons wouldn't even taste it.
That's it. Next year everyone's getting Pop Tarts in their stockings.
Okay, so part of the problem was probably that the boys got into the candy in their stockings before breakfast. In fact, I don't know that Josh had one nutritious piece of food the entire day.
I put all that effort into a yummy breakfast, and those two goons wouldn't even taste it.
That's it. Next year everyone's getting Pop Tarts in their stockings.
Okay, so part of the problem was probably that the boys got into the candy in their stockings before breakfast. In fact, I don't know that Josh had one nutritious piece of food the entire day.
M&M's, peanut butter cups, candy canes, Lil' Smokies, Chex Mix? Yes. A piece of fruit? NO WAY.
The rest of the day was spent in true Madsen Christmas style: pure laziness.
It was great.
Spencer and Lance played Wii.
The rest of the day was spent in true Madsen Christmas style: pure laziness.
It was great.
Spencer and Lance played Wii.
Josh and I watched ER (Season 9! Romano's arm is chopped off! Abby and Carter together!) on a laptop on my bed. Well, I watched; Josh played with his beloved Piggy.
Okay, it wasn't all laziness. I did finally get the wrapping paper and most of the toys cleaned up, much to the dismay of my sciatic nerve. But only because I didn't want to wake up to the mess tomorrow morning.
But other than that moment of temporary insanity/rationale, it was a great, lazy Christmas Day. Just like it should be.
But other than that moment of temporary insanity/rationale, it was a great, lazy Christmas Day. Just like it should be.


1 comment:
Maren, I loved all those videos. Especially the song and the darth vader. See you soon! Love, Susie
Post a Comment