What's a momma to do when she's had a really long day and is faced with a Family Home Evening sans daddy?
(Side note: I had to have my gestational diabetes testing today. Blllleeeecchhh. Seriously, I cannot stand drinking that orange syrup. It's like soda concentrate without the water or carbonation. Then I had a novice phlebotamist try to draw my blood. She could not find a vein anywhere and I could tell she was really nervous. I'm not at all averse to being worked on by medical or nursing students - they have to learn somehow! But today I really did not want to have to deal with bruised and sore arms as she tried in vain (vein!) to draw blood. Fortunately, her boss stepped in just before I requested someone else. And she did a great job. Happiness is a competent phlebotomist. At least when you need one. Thus endeth the long and rambling side note.)
Anywho, fun, easy, no daddy effin-ayche-eee?
Don't Eat Pete!
We had a Primary activity a couple of weeks ago, and one of the things we had the kids do was color a Don't Eat Pete game board that they could play at their own FHE's. I decided to create a board with churchy graphics, which I got from here and here.
Just in case you would like to print your own, here's the board:

And here are the rules:

Here's the board Spencer had colored. It was during his blue period. (Ha!)

We used trail mix for our goodies because that's what we had on hand. (But you could use all sorts of stuff - M&Ms, Skittles, Cheerios, raisins, etc.)
The boys LOOOOOVVVEEEDD it! It was the calmest, nicest, happiest they had been all day.

I thought Josh might be a little young for it, but he caught on quick and often got down to only two or three squares.

So, despite the long day and the lack of a husband, it was a good effin'-ayche-eee. Way to go, Pete.
(Side note: I had to have my gestational diabetes testing today. Blllleeeecchhh. Seriously, I cannot stand drinking that orange syrup. It's like soda concentrate without the water or carbonation. Then I had a novice phlebotamist try to draw my blood. She could not find a vein anywhere and I could tell she was really nervous. I'm not at all averse to being worked on by medical or nursing students - they have to learn somehow! But today I really did not want to have to deal with bruised and sore arms as she tried in vain (vein!) to draw blood. Fortunately, her boss stepped in just before I requested someone else. And she did a great job. Happiness is a competent phlebotomist. At least when you need one. Thus endeth the long and rambling side note.)
Anywho, fun, easy, no daddy effin-ayche-eee?
Don't Eat Pete!
We had a Primary activity a couple of weeks ago, and one of the things we had the kids do was color a Don't Eat Pete game board that they could play at their own FHE's. I decided to create a board with churchy graphics, which I got from here and here.
Just in case you would like to print your own, here's the board:

And here are the rules:

Here's the board Spencer had colored. It was during his blue period. (Ha!)
We used trail mix for our goodies because that's what we had on hand. (But you could use all sorts of stuff - M&Ms, Skittles, Cheerios, raisins, etc.)
The boys LOOOOOVVVEEEDD it! It was the calmest, nicest, happiest they had been all day.
I thought Josh might be a little young for it, but he caught on quick and often got down to only two or three squares.
So, despite the long day and the lack of a husband, it was a good effin'-ayche-eee. Way to go, Pete.
3 comments:
Maren! So crazy, because guess what I played with my students today? Don't Eat Pete! It's my default "reward" and my 6th-8th graders love it. (except for we call it Don't Eat Jack, or Don't Eat Jimmy, or whatever student wants to insert his/her name in that day.
This game is great for the kids, I remember learning about in seminary with Sister Biggs my Senior year. But I actually lost my board, so thanks for sharing ;)
cute, I am going to have to try this one :)
Post a Comment