Saturday, October 24, 2009

Best. Surprise. EVER.

This morning started out like any other Saturday: Spencer and Josh woke up at 6am (I know!) and decided to play computer.  Thankfully, Cole slept for another 30 minutes after that, so I got to 'sleep in' until 6:30.  (I know!)

I had just finished feeding Cole.  We were snuggling in the dark on the couch in the living room, watching the early morning news.  Chilly, pitch black outside, and I'm still half-asleep.

And then

there was

a knock.

Three of them, actually. Very ominous, forboding, scary taps on the front door.

My heart raced.  My mind raced.  My first thought: something's wrong with one of our neighbor friends - they need help.  My second thought: wait - where is Lance?  How did he lock himself outside?  My third thought: some crazy guy is knocking on the door, and once I open it he's gonna kill me.

Let me just say that my paranoid logic was completely understandable.  Lance didn't get home from his trip until 2:30am on Friday.  He was supposed to go through the garage door, but the battery for the lock was dead.  It was raining, the middle of the night, and he was very tired.  So he knocked on our bedroom window. 

And scared me half to death.

I'm not usually that jumpy, but I just happened to be having a nightmare at the time, which is very unusual for me.  I was half awake, half asleep, and a rather LOUD tapping on the window very understandably freaked me out.

Anywho, long story short: by the time I heard the knocking this morning I was a little jumpy with people knocking at my house when it's dark out.

So, holding Cole as protection (because if a bad guy was at the door he wouldn't expect the adorableness that is Cole, right?) I slowly opened the door, waiting for some hulking, scary man of a monster to get me.

Instead it was Dad and Susie.

DAD AND SUSIE??!!? 

I yelled something along the lines of "WHAT THE WHAT?!?!?"* and started babbling incoherently, throwing Cole into his happy grandmother's arms.

Cole was all cooing smiles.  Spencer and Josh came out to see what all the rumpus was, and then promptly went back to their computers.  (Their motto: "A surprise visit from Grandparents who live in Utah?  Whatever.")  Lance was still asleep because he was still tired from scaring me the other night.

Dad explained that since we had invited them to our annual Halloween donut party they decided to come check it out.  (I send invites to lots of family and friends I know who can't come, just to let them know we're thinking of them.)  They were here to help me visit and help us out with the party.

Awesome.

No, AWESOME.

No no, SUPER AWESOME.

No, that's all lame.  But you get the point.  I was sooooo surprised.  And happy.  Happy!!

But now I'm pooped.  It's time for bed.  I just hope I don't get anymore knocks on the window or door.  I'm about surprised out.

*Thank you, Liz Lemon.

1 comment:

The Holdaway's said...

A truly great surprise and another terrific Donut party! It was nice to see you talking with everyone and not having to slave away cooking all those magnificent donuts. you could go into business you know...