Friday, October 30, 2009

Bread of the Month: Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread

I luuuuv pumpkin anything.  It's the super squash.  Tasty.

So I really wanted to make pumpkin bread this month, but it's a quick bread, not a yeast bread.  I was bummed until I found a recipe for Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread on Taste of Home.  Score!  So I made it.  Then I ate it. 

Verdict?

Meh.

I mean, it wasn't gross or anything.  It was actually pretty good.  But it wasn't great, either, you know?  I most likely won't be making it again.  And I think I'm beginning to realize that although I like the idea of raisins in my bread, I don't know that I really like them in there.  But when it really gets down to it, what I really, really wanted was real pumpkin bread.  With chocolate chips.  And no yeast bread is gonna take care of that.

So here's the deal:  I'm busy.  The primary program is in a couple of weeks.  (Late, I know.)  My calling is suddenly very busy and even kinda stressful.  Lance is never home.  And my kids are all hopped up on sugar. Even Cole, although I'm not quite sure how that happened. So I'm just gonna show you the pictures with a few snarky comments here and there.  You can fill in the blanks.

Here we go.


 


I had to make my own applesauce.  How in the world did I run out of applesauce?  I blame this baby, although he's only had a tiny bit once in his cereal.  But he doesn't answer any of my accusations coherently, so I take this as guilt.

 
 

And somehow I was out of whole wheat flour as well.  Which is weird because I always have some around the house.  But I forgot to replenish the supplies.  Oh, the shame!  So I read in my substitutions book that 2 TBL of wheat germ to a cup of white flour would work.  And it did.


 

The dough was extra wet, so I had to add some extra flour.  Which made it huge.  But my mixer was up to the challenge!
 

 

Stacey, I know you love the giant green bowl.  And I know you're gettin' hitched soon. But you cannot have the giant green bowl.  He's stayin' with me.  Plus, how would I fit anything else in my luggage?
 












Lovely pumpkin color.  Lovely pumpkin aroma.  But not so much on the lovely pumpkin taste.  Bummer.

 

No comments: