Thursday, November 12, 2009

Feed Me

As you can tell, Cole is starving to death. 



Today I saw a glimpse of Cole's personality and future: he wants to be his brothers.  He wants to be big like them, do the things they do, go where they go. Be them.  And until they're all in their 20's or so, that's just not gonna happen, poor kid. 

I watched Cole as I was feeding the boys lunch today.  From his perch in his high chair he studied Josh and Spencer intensly; to him, they were the most interesting things he had ever seen in his short little life. 

Then he started to fuss.  Not an "I'm Sleepy" fuss, nor an "I Need a Diaper Change" fuss.  It was the "I'm A Poor, Starving Baby - Feed Me!" fuss.  And even though he had just eaten an hour before, I knew there was no talking him out of it.  If his brothers were eating, then it was time for him to eat, too!

He happily slurped his cereal and sweet potato (yum!) for a few bites.  Then he watched his brothers some more.  And then he started fussing again.  And even though he's not quite six months old, I've been mothering long enough to know exactly what he wanted - a drink.  Just like Spencer and Josh.

Well.  What's a momma to do?  I knew a bottle just would not cut it.



He was extremely pleased and, of course, wanted to get in on the action.



He would have held the cup if I had let him, but I didn't feel like changing a wriggly, soaking wet baby just then.

He was a bit miffed when I finally took the cup away.  Who did I think I was?

A while later I was snacking on some caramel mini rice cakes.  (Yum.)  Again with the fussing.  So I gave in and gave him one, figuring he would probably drop it before he could do any real damage.



Yeeeeaaaahhhh... he slobbered and slurped and munched and five minutes later I was surprised to discover... well, not that much.  He had eaten a good 75% of that rice cake!  What the what?  Five months old and eating rice cakes?!  Seriously, it was nowhere to be found!

In this aspect, Cole is already just like his brothers - he can EAT.  (At least when they feel so inclined.  But that's another post.)

Is there a special savings account I can start now so we can afford groceries when these three are teenagers?  Because I have the feeling we're gonna need it.

No comments: