Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cruise 2010: Bonus Food and Funny Signs Section!!

FOOD
So, in case I haven't mentioned it before, we really liked the food on this cruise.  A lot.

Sure, there were some things we didn't like.  But not many.

I didn't take pictures of our food or where we ate, mainly because I was too busy enjoying my meal.  (Sometimes you have to just enjoy the moment, even if it means missing out on good blog material.)  But I did find a few pics online. Like this one of the buffet:


See?  It was pretty nice.

And here's a picture of Sabatini's.  (Remember that really nice restaurant we went to?)  Only Lance and I sat at a romantic little table for two by the windows.  But still really fancy.


But my favorite place to eat was the International Cafe.  It's this little place down on the atrium floor that carried yummy salads and sandwiches and desserts and the world's best gelato.  Nutella was my favorite flavor.  

Wait - did I already mention this place?  Well, it bears repeating.  Lance and I would often stop there after getting back from excursions.  I would always get the shrimp salad and grilled veggie salad - otherwise known as heaven on a plate.


So I should mention here that I had one goal for my cruise: to eat at least one shrimp per day.  I lurrve shrimp.  My family does not.  I figured this cruise was a good place to bulk up on all the shrimp I don't get to eat at home.  Well, this salad more than helped me reach that goal.

It's good to have goals.  They give you character.  Tasty, tasty character.

Lance would always get some sandwiches, like ham and cheese on a croissant or prosciutto and fresh mozzarella.  Just look how happy he was!


We would also get some of the desserts to share.  And by share I mean scarf down.  My favorite was the mini fruit tart.  And the hazelnut chocolate cake.  And... well, there weren't really any that we didn't like, is what I'm saying.

The food isn't the main reason you should go on a cruise, but it sure is something to seriously consider.  Because I'm pretty sure that sub-par food would make for a sub-par cruise.

FUNNY SIGNS
All throughout the cruise we saw funny signs.  (Well, funny to us.)  I'm sure some of the things were just cultural differences and others were only funny because we're goofy like that.
Like this one we saw in Jamaica:


I don't know why, but this tickled my funny bone.  (And I wasn't alone - I saw other people taking pictures as well.)  It's especially funny when said with a Jamaican accent and considering the apparently lackadaisical Jamaican road laws.

We found this sign on a shop in Grand Cayman.


It must of worked - we didn't see a single person with their feet on the wall.

I saw this sign in Mexico.  It's not funny, but it did remind me of a good friend of mine.


Then there were the international signs on the ship.  These were posted all over the ship.


They're not particularly funny, but for some reason the word "muster" really got on my nerves.  Muster muster muster.  And we never did figure out why those arrows were pointed at that family.  And why were there little people in the arrows?  It's all so strange.

This sign showed where the life boats were.


To me they looked like floating hoagie sandwiches.  Or maybe Jaredite boats.  (For all my Mormon friends out there.)

And here's the life preserver sign.


Apparently the life preservers on Princess cruises are always coming up with brilliant ideas.

And finally, here's the map of the deck we stayed on.


It's not particularly funny, unless you think of the number of times we looked at this map and then still got lost.  Dang it.

3 comments:

Gigi said...

How fun to know you thought of me while on your cruise! I wonder if the restaurant was any good. ha ha

The Eccles said...

Thanks for letting me pretend to be on Vacation all week...your trip sounded divine!

Maren said...

Gig - I'm sure the restaurant was fantastic. I mean, a pizzaria in Mexico? That's gotta be some good eats. :)