Monday, August 23, 2010

Fill In The Blank

Today I was at the kitchen table helping Spencer with his homework.  Josh was sitting across from us doing his own "homework" and Cole was walkin' around into walls and stuff.

Several of the math problems Spencer was working on had blanks, so we would read them out loud as "blank".  (Such as "______ is 1 less than 9.)  (Answer: 8.  Just in case you needed the help.)

After several minutes of this Josh interrupted.

Josh: Mommy!  This is a blank!
At which point he winked at me.
Me: Wha...?
Josh: This is a blank!  Not that!
This time he double winks. Emphatically.
Me: Josh, what are you... (at which point it dawns on me)  Oh!  You mean blink!  You're blinking, not blanking!
Josh: No.  This is a blank.
He blinks.
Me: No, that's a blink.  You blink your eyes.  You fill in the blanks.
Josh (in that voice that only means "I will NEVER give in, no matter how wrong I am"): No.  I blank my eyes!
Me: Right.  Then get back to blanking your eyes.

Which he did.

That kid cracks me up.

No comments: