Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Good Smack in the Face

Spencer has his first loose tooth!  It was the first thing he told me when he woke up yesterday morning.  He is quite excited, and, I think, a bit relieved.  He had always been a bit nervous about the idea of having a loose tooth.  Now that he does he can see it's not that big of a deal.

I couldn't really see it jiggle, but I took his word for it.  I figured we had at least a few weeks before it came out.

And then Joshie punched Spencer in the mouth.

You read that right.

I wasn't there, but apparently there was some scuffle down in the basement over a toy.  Joshie has something of a short fuse.  And lately, his way of dealing with that is hitting.  (Hitting things, hitting toys, hitting brothers, hitting Mommy... Why yes, there have been a lot of time outs in our home lately.  Why do you ask?)  Spencer was probably being obnoxious enough that Joshie decided a good smack in the face was in order.

I'm not saying that hitting is ever right.  But I'm also not saying that Spencer is entirely blameless.

Anywho, poor Spencer came melodramatically crawling up the stairs, bawling, with a bloody mouth.  Josh had hit the loose tooth just right.

The tooth is now jiggly.  I suspect Joshie inadvertently sped up the date of the Tooth Fairy's first visit to our home.

Now to find and/or create the perfect tooth pillow/pocket/box and decide just how generous this fairy will be.

2 comments:

Gigi said...

I'm not sure how much the tooth fairy who comes to our house will leave, but I recently heard that the going rate in Seattle is $5.00 a tooth. Yikes! Am I wrong to think that's too much?

Marie said...

My cousin, who lives right outside of Seattle, gives her daughter $2-5 dollars PER tooth. I think she's mental but she says she doesn't want her daughter to be sad when the other kids get more than her. I say let her be sad! The tooth fairy only will bring a quarter, maybe two, when the magic day comes.