Monday, October 25, 2010

Sixth Annual Doughnut Party!

This weekend was busy.


Super BUSY.

Friday night Lance and I went on the most AWESOME scavenger hunt ever.  Seriously, it was great.  We were in a team with awesome friends, we drove all over town and back again to find the awesome clues, and we did all sorts of awesome challenges. For example, we had to zip tie our hands together and go up and down some playground equipment.


We also had to eat an entire Pumpkins Pie Blizzard, but only got one spoonful each.  (Hence my large portion.)


Are you sensing an awesome theme here?  Big kudos to the two secret Great Pumpkin planners - Lance and I had a great time and we really appreciate all the effort and time you put into it!

Saturday morning was a Primary activity.  We practiced for our Sacrament Meeting Program (which was the next morning) and had a pizza party.  Lots of kids.  Lots of pizza.  Lots of wiggling and giggling.  It wore me out.


But I managed to save some energy because that night was the Madsen's Sixth Annual Halloween Donut Party!  (Woo-hoo!)  I think it went really well.  We had lots of people come, which was fine because this year we finally have lots of extra room to contain them all!  The doughnuts were extra yummy this year, too, because the wonderful Gigi came a little early to help out; she probably cooked at least 2/3rds of them.  That's a lot of doughnuts.  (Gigi, you rock.)

Once again I forgot to take many pics.  Dang.  That's just the nature of the evening, I guess.

I did get a few, though.

Lance cooked a few doughnuts at the end so Gigi and I could socialize.
All the kiddos lurved the basement.  Cole liked it so much his pants fell off.

A few of our friends working on the Fake Frankenstein Movie Names quiz.

Others working on the Bride of Frankenstein Game.

This year we introduced a new doughnut: the Baconstein.  (Name courtesy of Lance.)  It's a doughnut with maple glaze and finely chopped bacon on top. 

Oh. My. Goodness.  Sooooo tasty.  Seriously, I know it sounds weird, but they were goooood.  I wish I had taken a picture of one, but I was too busy eating it to think of photographing it.

Anywho, a grand time was had by all. (I hope.)  Our last guests left at 9:30, and Lance and I were in bed by 10:15, exhausted and covered in sugar, which is the sign of a great party.

The next morning was the Primary Sacrament Meeting Program.  Imagine 50+ children, ages 3-11, in front of the congregation for an hour.  Each child has a part to say and several songs are sung.  It was a squirmy, wiggly mass of cuteness, capable of bursting into laughter or tears at any moment.  Even if you've never seen one you can imagine why it is completely exhausting for all involved.  After two more hours of Primary after Sacrament meeting I stumbled home and took a three hour nap.  Later that evening I went to bed early and slept long and hard. 

Growing a human is pretty tiring, especially after weekends as fun as this one.

6 comments:

Ginger said...

Man, I'm still so sad that we had to miss the party. Maybe next year?

JAM, EAM, SEM,EAM2,JAM2 said...

Maren - congrats on your pregnancy. We are sorry we missed the Halloween bash...but your post does help explain why I have been craving donuts!

Anonymous said...

Maren - you make me tired just reading about all you do. But sounds like you had a great weekend! S

Kerry said...

Ok, so I know you will not impart of your donut recipe, but I want to know how I can make me my own baconstein donuts! I saw a donut like that on food network and have been thinking about it ever since! What was your glaze? Did you do anything special to the bacon? Please tell!

Maren said...

Ginger - we'll be looking for you next year. I think this is the first year you've ever missed!

Kerry - the Baconsteins are made just like I said in the post: maple glaze with chopped bacon as 'sprinkles'.

Christine Merrill said...

Oh my goodness, I feel so left out :) I wish we could move back! (Not that I don't like DC...just that I'll never love anywhere like Indiana!)

The scavenger hunt looked awesome. And you would have been so proud of my kids - they both sang for our primary program this week. I say any Sunbeam that actually sings gets a gold star!!