On Saturday I decided to take Cole with me while I ran some errands.
Why in the world would I purposefully take a toddler on errands? Because I am a glutton for punishment.
No. I just felt like he needed some one-on-one time with Mommy. Plus, I knew it'd be a heck of a lot easier on Lance to just have three kids rather than Cole.
Anyway, that's not the point of this story. The point of this story starts with this: as I was strapping him into his car seat he started talking about cheeseburgers. Half of what he said was unintelligible, but I definitely heard cheeseburgers mentioned several times. This seemed a bit odd to me since it's not like we eat a ton of cheeseburgers around here. Still, heaven only knows what goes on inside that little boy's mind, so the mention of cheeseburgers didn't seem too out there.
As we drove down Veteran's Memorial Pkwy (350 S to us old timers), we passed a McDonald's. Cole got really excited and started saying "Cheeseburger! Cheeseburger!", until we drove by it. And once he realized we weren't going there he dropped his little head and frowned a genuine little sad frown and it was all I could do not to pull a U-turn and go buy that child a cheeseburger. But is was only 10am and there was a rather large median in the way.
So I told Cole that we would get a cheeseburger for lunch, just the two of us. Wouldn't that be a special treat? He was quite excited about this. He was excited about this at Gigi's house (we had to drop something off), he was excited about this at Sam's Club (I had to buy half the store), and he was excited about this at Target (where I scored some sweet penny loafers for $7.48 and a cute dress for Tess). He was still excited about it on the way to Burger King. (Hey, I didn't feel like McDonald's...)
And then he fell asleep.
Poor kiddo was tuckered out with all those errands. (It might not seem like many, but when you run up and down every single aisle of each store, you get tired.) I thought about going anyway and waking him up, but the risk that he would wake up SUPER GROUCHY was just too high. So I took him home.
He woke up just fine and without any mention of cheeseburgers he happily ate a peanut butter and honey sandwich.
Later that afternoon I was in the kitchen baking cookies for an object lesson I was using in my Sunday School class the next day. (I was teaching Gospel Principles. It's awesome - you should totally come.) I could hear Cole come up the stairs. He walked into the kitchen and with the most adorable toddler face and with the most adorable toddler lisp said, "I have cheeseburger, fries, and a drink?"
It was all I could do not to eat him up right then! I picked him up and twirled him around the kitchen. Then he saw all the cookies on the counter and said, and I'm not making this up, "Oh my gosh! Cookies! I want one!"
Well of course I gave him a cookie. I gave him several, in fact.
Well, as Cole's luck would have it, by the time it was time to make dinner I had no desire at all to cook. Neither did Lance. (Hah! When does Lance ever have a desire to cook? Sorry, Lance.) And, as Cole's luck would have it, I had several coupons for Burger King. So, in the end, I guess Lance did cook - he went through the drive-thru and brought home cheeseburgers, fries, and a drink for everyone!
And all was well.
No comments:
Post a Comment