Okay ladies, this has been on my mind all day and I want some of your input.
We're going to the temple tomorrow, and all day I've been trying to figure out what to wear. It's that age-old decision between form versus function.
See, my outfit has to be nice enough to go into the temple, but comfy enough to handle 6+ hours in the car with four children.
Apparently my church wardrobe cannot be both comfortable and cute. Either the dress/skirt looks really nice but isn't something I really want to wear in the car all day, or it's totally comfortable but makes me feel a bit frumpy and not nice enough to wear into the temple. Okay, I do have one dress that fits the bill for both, but it's a bit too dressy for when I take the kids to the park/library/wherever while Lance is in the temple. It's one of those dresses that I have to wear high heels with, and that's a deal breaker. No high heels on temple trips.
So dang. Does anyone else out there have this problem? What do you do about and/or wear?
9 comments:
I have a black pull on knit jersey skirt (Target!) that I wear with black flats and a nice-ish t-shirt when I need a long car ride worthy outfit. Sometimes I feel like a slouch when I walk into the temple but I'm only in those clothes for a few minutes there and the slouchy feeling doesn't last long.
The old man at the temple desk isn't going to judge your outfit. Go with what it going to work best for the whole day. It's getting there that's important!
Maren,
I am glad that you think about these things. I am sure I am too late to really help. They will love you in whatever you show up in. At the same time, the temple is this place that you should be not too casual. All that said, no flip-flops or denim and I think you are good to go in something that would be appropriate to also take the kids to the park.
Do you have a maxi dress or skirt? I think they can be dressed up to look really nice, but are soo super comfy! I love mine! I have noticed that a ton of stores have long skirts right now! That's so rare! Target, Old Navy, Kohls, JC Penny's, to name a few.I went shopping for some clothes for my trip to Utah and ended up buying 4 skirts! If you have a cute shrug or cardigan to go over the dress or skirt, you can dress it up with some cute accessories, etc. I don't think you would look frumpy, the maxi skirts don't wrinkle, and are cute! Good luck! I always seem to be wardrobe challenged.
When Chris and I have switched off I've just worn street clothes and changed in the car (or wore my skirt and then changed after I was done). I don't know if that helps and if you're up for changing in a car full of kids. Millie doesn't seem to mind right now. I prefer wearing a skirt because then I can either slip it over pants or slip the pants on under when I'm changing for more discreet temple parking lot changing.
Thanks to Rachel Claussen we were able to go to the temple TOGETHER yesterday. Such a treat.
Skirts. With a shirt that looks ok with pants or jeans, and then I change before/after the temple. Been doing it for years.
Not that this will help, since you're already there, but I always wear a skirt so that I can wear jeans in the car with a nice-looking top, and then I just pull the skirt on over my jeans and slip the jeans off. That quick change is one of the few times when it's easier to be a girl than a guy.
Several times I have worn pants and then slipped a skirt on when I got to the temple.
maxi dress? I wear a cardigan with mine and it seems not quite so casual. And I don't happen to see a little bit of casual as a big deal, considering I'm only walking in and out while wearing it, since the majority of the time is spent in a white dress.
Here's what I do. I wear a somewhat nice top and I wear pants and sandals with it. Then I change into a skirt and heals in the van before I go in. That way it's okay for the park and I don't feel stupid in the mall etc. But then I look good for the temple.
Post a Comment