Friday, December 14, 2012

Piano Concert

Today I had lunch with Spencer at school since his birthday is tomorrow.  While we walked to the lunchroom and as we sat down, a fair number of kids said "Good job, Spencer!", "You were great!", and "You were really good, Spencer!"

Odd, I thought.

So I asked him what it was all about.

"Oh, I played a song for morning announcements."  As nonchalant as can be.

"Wait, you played a song?  On what?"

Rolled eyes. "On the piano.  I played a song on the piano."

"What?!  What song did you play?"

"Jolly Old Saint Nicholas."

"But why?  Why did you play it?"

Shrug of the shoulders. "Because.  I could."

"Wait, did you know about it before?"

"Yes."

"Why didn't you practice it this morning, then?"

"Because I'm really good at it."

This went on for another good 5 minutes at lunch and then again at dinner, and I never really did get a straight answer as for how/why/what exactly went on.

What I do know is that Spencer had a concert during morning announcements, which is broadcast for the entire school to see.  He did well.

And to him, it was no big deal.

He can't remember to turn in all of his school assignments, but can play a piano piece from memory in front of the whole school and not think it's even important enough to tell his mom.

This kid is getting interesting.

No comments: