1. You're never too busy to serve.
My dad understands that in serving others we serve the Lord. And that through this service we often get more out of it than those we serve. He's always willing to help others and has never turned a church calling down. At one point when I was a child he was bishop, seminary teacher, and, I'm pretty sure, some sort of scout leader. All at the same time. (The details are fuzzy from my childhood memory.) Regardless, there was rarely a day or evening when he wasn't at some meeting or helping someone or the phone wasn't ringing off the hook for him. The man was busy.
He's still busy. He travels a ton for work, has a very involved and time-consuming church calling, but is often over at his mother's house, helping her with the computer or her yard. Or he's helping a ward member move or bail water during a flood or whatever.
Because of his example I will never turn a church calling down. And I will always try my hardest to go the extra mile while serving.
2. Work hard.
My dad is the type of guy who always has a project. Most recently it's been putting in a new front lawn for his home. He battles sprinklers on an annual basis. He builds things and fixes things and if he doesn't know how to do something he'll learn how. He's a regular at the hardware store. His to-do lists are continual. Even when he comes out to visit us he's willing to work and help out. (Painting rooms, hanging doors, etc.) Growing up I remember him working around the house all day every Saturday. We complained and whined when he had us help, but it was during that time that I really learned the value and joy in working hard.
I like working. There's nothing quite so satisfactory as working hard and finishing a big project. And if I have a free Saturday, Lance knows it will generally be full of house projects. I know I got this from my dad.
3. Play hard.
My dad loves nothing so much as crashing on the couch and watching a ball game. Baseball, basketball, football, golf - professional, college, whatever - he'll watch it. And he'll often take a well deserved nap. (However, I have not inherited his penchant for yelling at the tv - loudly - while watching games. That gene was only passed on to my brothers.)
For as long as I can remember my dad's also been involved in some way with the youth of the church. He's always off camping, hiking, rafting, youth conferencing or just having fun. He plays with my kids when he comes to visit, and he always makes sure that we do something fun as a family.
Work hard first. It makes playing all the better.
4. Dress for the occasion.
My dad was notorious for embarrassing his teenage daughter (and sometimes his wife) with the outfits he chose. Oh boy. I'm pretty sure my mom had to sneakily throw away some of his beloved (and much worn) clothing for the sake of our reputations. And his mudders - oh, his mudders. Mudders are shoes with the laces taken out and the shoe tongue removed. He had (has?) no qualms wearing those, with bib overalls, in public, much to our dismay.
However.
My dad also knows how to dress really well. Every Sunday he looks really sharp in a nice suit and pressed shirt and snazzy tie. He also looks very nice whenever he goes to work meetings. Ignore the outfits in most of the pictures in this post. Like the rest of us, my dad was a fashion victim of the 80's.
5. When the missionaries come for dinner you can't go wrong serving spaghetti alla carbonara.
Seriously. My dad picked up this awesome recipe while serving a mission in Italy. I've never met a person who didn't like it. No, that's wrong - who didn't LOVE it. (Seriously - I've had elders who've eaten thirds and fourths!)
6. Love the SF Giants. Hate the Dodgers.
When we moved to the bay area in 1989 we became a San Francisco Giants family. Which automatically made us a very much non-Dodgers family. The hated Dodgers. No one likes the Dodgers.
We spent many a happy afternoon and (freezing) evening at Candlestick Park rooting for the Giants. Not only did my dad teach me how to keep score, he also taught me that there's nothing like a hot dog at the ball park and that it's perfectly acceptable to doze off during an inning or two.
7. If you need to talk to your kids, hold them hostage.
During high school and my summers home from college my dad often needed rides to and from the airport for work trips. During that time we would have really good conversations. We'd talk about all sorts of things: the gospel, schooling, marriage, sports, whatever.
Although I sometimes complained about these forced "lectures" (as I called them), I secretly enjoyed them. I learned a lot about life, the universe, and my dad. Once my kids are a bit older you know I'll totally find ways to hold my children hostage in the car as well.
My dad is what I call a suburban farmer. He loves to garden and he's totally passed this on to me. (As my readers know all too well!) When I have a farming question he's the first guy I call.
True story: when we lived in North Carolina he grew cotton just to see if he could. He could. Then he made my brothers and I pick it. It was awful. I hated it. I felt empathy towards the slaves of the south.
True story: in high school my job was to pick an ice cream bucket full of raspberries every day during berry season. It was awful. I hated it. I wondered if slaves had to pick raspberries.
I can't wait to make my kids pick raspberries. (But not cotton. I'm not that mean.)
Happy Father's Day, Dad. I love you and can't wait to learn more from you in the years to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment