Monday, July 1, 2013

Kid's Meal Science Experiment

We decided to conduct a little science experiment this summer: determining which kids meals the kids like best.  Each week we've been going to a different restaurant and then recording our findings on an Excel chart. So yeah, we're really scientific and such.

We started with McDonald's because that's pretty much the gold standard as far as kids meals are concerned.  (At least in my kids' eyes.)  Spencer and Josh always get the cheeseburger meals with sodas and Tess and Cole always get the chicken nuggets and chocolate milk.  That's just the way they roll.  I get whatever I feel like having.

I could bore you with all the nitty gritty results, but I won't.  Mainly because I don't feel like typing them.  Also, they're boring.  But here's a brief synopsis:

- Everyone liked the fries a lot
- Only Tess really liked the apples
- The toy was a Hot Wheels car, which they all really liked.

I asked each child to give it a score, with 1 being the lowest (YUCK) and 10 being the highest (YUM).
Spencer: 9 (that boy loves McDonald's)
Josh: 8 (he was mad I made him eat his apples)
Cole: 3 (he really likes the number 3)
Tess: 12 (Tess is unclear on the concept)
Maren: I had a cheeseburger meal.  And it was delish.

Last week we went to Burger King to see how things compared.  I even remembered to take a couple of action shots!



Verdict?  Surprisingly, all the kiddos seemed to like Burger King better!

- Everyone liked the extra-thick fries.  They were really tasty!
- Tess was upset that they forgot to give her ranch for her nuggets.  The horror!
- Burger King now has one of those Coke Freestyle machines, which the boys LOVE.
- The toy was LAME.  Jungle Book was the theme for the month, and each kid got some weird orange, plastic, cell phone-shaped thing with a picture of a tiger on front, with a tiger pennant/bandana/piece-o-junk thing on the inside.  They were thrown away within the week.

Here are the ratings:
Spencer: 10 (he was just as surprised as I was)
Josh: 10 (I think this was in reaction to the Coke Freestyle)
Cole: 3 (still with the number 3)
Tess: 65 (I didn't even know she knew that number!)
Maren: I had a grilled chicken salad.  It was gross.  I forgot how gross Burger King salads ALWAYS are.  Blech blech blech.  Next time I'll just go for the Jr. Whopper.

And today we went to Wendy's.  I had the carpets cleaned this morning and they still weren't dry, so I schlepped all of the kids into the car and went to the drive-thru.  Where we waited.  And waited.  And waited because they were having computer problems.  I was seriously about to drive away, but they got their act together.

We ate at the little park by our community pool.  It was actually chilly and windy enough that we were cold in the shade!!  Seriously, it's the 1st of July and the rest of the country is broiling in the heat, but Spencer was literally shivering.  Weather is weird.

Here's how things turned out:

- No one was really into the fries.  I know they're supposed to be all natural and such now, but seriously?  When I'm eating fries I don't care if they're natural and have sea salt.  Bring the flavor or go home!
- Tess was in LOVE with the nuggets.  She chowed down on those first.
- The toy - a Sea World Board Game that you have to put together - was kinda lame.  Spencer tried putting it together and playing with it, but wasn't very impressed.  But that's okay because Wendy's toys are always expected to be lame.  (Sorry, Wendy's.)

Here are the ratings:
Spencer: 9
Josh: refused to answer.  He's being a punk today.
Cole: 3 (surprised?)
Tess: 3 (She likes to be like Cole.:)
Maren: I had a Almond Strawberry grilled chicken salad.  It was awesome! Seriously, yummy.  I mean, no fast food is going to match the magical salads of The Cheesecake Factory or other restaurants like that, but it comes pretty darn close.  It had a TON of blueberries in it, which was good because Tess wanted to eat half of them.

So there you go.  Over the next few weeks we'll start hitting some of the more unusual places for kid's meals.  Any suggestions?  (Not Chic-fil-A, though.  My kids never eat when we go there and I'm not willing to waste my money.)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I like the kid's meals at DQ. They have a grilled cheese meal that is great for my silly kids that don't eat hamburgers, and you get a coupon for a free ice cream treat
;) Also, the salad i had was pretty good.