Our wonderful piano teacher, Sheri Easton, decided to have her annual recital in October instead of December this year. (This was met with much rejoicing. The holidays are soooo busy.)
Taking four children to a piano recital they don't want to be at is pretty fun. And by fun I mean the opposite of fun. I mean nightmarish. BUT, we are a family and we support each other and that means going to Spencer's recitals.
As we waited for the recital to start we distracted Tess with the camera. Two years old and she already knows all about selfies.
Josh was just there for the refreshments at the end. I'm pretty sure he would sit through a three hour recital if it meant he could have treats at the end. (Fortunately this recital only lasted 45 total - and that included 20+ minutes of eating treats and chatting with friends.)
Cole saw everyone else taking pictures by the piano and had to get in on that action. Cole's an interesting child. Well, that's an understatement. But truly, I think he has some great musical potential. Since he was really young he's always liked playing on the piano, only his playing didn't really sound like the banging of a typical little kid. He actually has rhythm and I've caught him mimicking some of Spencer's songs. Once I even thought it was Spencer, much to Spencer's offence. Oops. Oh well, we have a ways until he starts lessons in the 2nd grade! (I'm not willing to start my kids sooner than that - I think it would be a constant battle to practice and go to lessons.)
You can tell how excited he was to be there. All he wanted to do was be at home, playing computer games! Too bad.
Despite the look on his face, he was quite pleased to get a flower. Come to think of it... I haven't seen that flower since Friday night. Oh boy... I bet it's decomposing somewhere in his bedroom.
Sister Easton's piano students.
And now, for your viewing pleasure, I present Spencer's piano pieces. The first was called "Clap Hands", to which Tess danced around the living room whenever Spencer practiced.
The second piece is called "Wind in the Willows". When he was practicing he would sometimes stumble or is fingers would play faster than he wanted and he would get SOOOO frustrated. In fact, he acted just like Don Music, that puppet they used to have on Sesame Street who would bang his head on the piano in frustration. No kidding - I saw Spencer actually bang his head on the piano. It was all I could do not to laugh at his drama.
2 comments:
How is it possible that I completely forgot about that Sesame Street piano guy?! That was awesome! And tell Spencer, this piano teacher thinks he did a great job at the recital! ;)
I think I used those same piano books when I was a kid, because I could almost feel my fingers playing along...
Good job, Spencer! I'm impressed!
My little girl, Lillian, has music in her soul, and we got her a recorder. It was much easier to pick up on, and has filled her need for music in her life until she can play piano...
Post a Comment