Monday, August 25, 2014

Facebook Statuses

I didn't realize how long it's been since I did a roundup of my favorite Facebook statuses. Time to remedy that.

The air was so cold and the snow do dry that it was like shoveling Styrofoam this morning- it actually squeeked when I walked on it! Definitely a morning for the reindeer hair mittens. (Warmest. Mittens. Ever.)

Maren Roper Madsen
January 23
Poor Cole has only had preschool twice since Christmas break because of crazy weather. Today I tried doing 'home preschool', but he just laid a hand on my arm and said "No, Mommy. Just no."

Apparently I am no substitute for Mrs. Hyuck and Mrs. Sliger!

The 2+ year reign of terror is over: Tess is no longer afraid of the car wash!

So Lance just came home early and nonchalantly told me that he's taking tomorrow and all of next week off because he has so much paid time off that he has to use or lose. AWESOMESAUCE.

New Big Girl Bed! (Pretty sure Grandma Wendy would be pleased that her only granddaughter is now using the beloved daybed. :))








Potty training. How I hate you.

One of the few times I've wished we had a bigger snow blower. It was a long shovel this morning!

The water heater was supposed to be fixed for good last night.

It was not.

My anger burns like the heat of a thousand suns.

This is approximately a thousand suns times hotter than the water in our house.

I'm running away. Suggestions as to where?

Tess is having a conversation with my phone about how much she loves to eat hot dogs at Sam's Club.

I love this girl.

Another first grade animal project done. (Only two more to go!) There's a button on top that you press to hear the cardinal warn his family about the approaching predator. Yeah, we're cool like that.


Cole's recycled robot for R week at preschool. We're on school project fire this morning!











My new favorite child. (I have no idea where he got this idea, but I'm all for my children paying me!)










After close inspection of my kitchen walls I wondered if my kids had been eating off of them instead of the table. Then I inspected my kitchen table and decided my walls weren't too bad. #ihatecleaningdriedfood

I discovered that my limit to the number of times I'm wiling to dress a child during the day is 83. Tess is now running around the house in her birthday suit. (Because, you know, the Madsen household is clothing optional.)

Somehow Cole has shimmied his way into a pair of Tess's pants and refuses to take them off. What's with my kids and their clothes lately?











Maren Roper Madsen
February 25
Now i can't keep Cole dressed either. By the end of the week we'll be a nudist colony. Silver lining: less laundry!

Maren Roper Madsen
February 28
Cole now insists on wearing 2 underpants at the same time.

If you don't take any pictures or do status updates about an AWESOME DAY of driving through snowstorms, chatting, and shopping with your best friend, did it really happen? (You bet it did, Gigi Andriese Ream!!!) Thanks for fleeing the state with me, if only for the day. 

Maren Roper Madsen
March 4
A haircut, lollipop, and new crown - what more could any little princess want?











Stopped being wishy-washy and stressing myself out over the decision and signed Cole up for Pre-K next year instead of putting him in Kindergarten. I'll have two kiddos in preschool next year and I feel great about it!

Maren Roper Madsen
March 7
My dad restored my grandpa's asked and sent it to the kids. Isn't it cool!? And so pretty. I'm almost thinking it might become a holiday decoration instead of a toy. Maybe we'll have to test it out first and then decide...







Maren Roper Madsen
March 13
Had a hot (& delicious!) lunch date at Niko's Spicy Pickle with my handsome husband - and two grouchy kids. I think the first year my kids are all in school I'm going to make a point of going out for lunch at least once a week and luxuriating in my freedom. 

The kids begged to have pie for breakfast since it's pie day. Wanting to win Mother Of The Year, I made Dutch Apple pie. They refused to eat it.

Punks.







Tess: Grrrrrrrr! Grrrrrr!
Me: Tess, don't be a grouch.
Tess: BUT I LIKE IT!!!!
Me: Obviously. You should have taken a nap.
Tess: YES, I KNOW!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!

My awesomesauce St. Patrick's Day bread. What? Totally Irish.









Maren Roper Madsen
March 20
Visiting the chicks and ducklings at Rural King - happy spring!











Tess: I wuv you mommy, I wuv you.
Cole: NO!! No, Tessie doesn't love you. You lie!!
Tess: No, I wuv you mommy.
Cole: What?! No. NO. YOU. DON'T.

Maren Roper Madsen
March 26
Just caught Spencer emphatically singing "The Final Countdown" as he got out of the shower. Now that's the way to get ready for the day!

Sick toddlers are both sad and hilarious. We were in the car for all of two minutes and I found her like this. While the toothbrush is awesome (mainly because I have no idea what it was doing in the car), I'm especially in love with the IKEA card on her knee.







I took a 30 minute snooze this afternoon. I woke up to Tess, in her birthday suit, snoring away with her arm dramatically flung over her eyes.

Even naps are more interesting with kids around.

Maren Roper Madsen
March 31
Excitement of the day: finding ducks in the neighborhood pool! (Cole kept yelling "Hey ducks! This is a pool! Get out!)







Maren Roper Madsen
April 4 via Kickstarter
  • My amazing husband just launched a Kickstarter campaign for a PC Gaming Analog Keyboard that he helped design. If you can, we'd love your support! (Either financially or just passing it along on FB! Or - even better - both!) Thank you!
    Play Video
    Aimpad™ - PC Gaming Analog Keyboard
    Want Analog Speed and Direction in PC Gaming? Aimpad™ provides analog gaming control in a keyboard form factor.

Maren Roper Madsen
April 8
Tess: Mommy! I don't have a tail. I have a bottom. A BOTTOM!!!

Glad we've cleared that up. Also, no more Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood.

Maren Roper Madsen
April 8
All thoughts of a productive afternoon flew out the window when I rediscovered a bunch of old emails between Lance and I from around the time before and after we got engaged. Guys, we were so freakin' cute. And young. But mostly cute.

Best news I heard at church today: the Mother's Day weekend father/son campout is back! (No more if this "family campout" nonsense!) 

Tess's birthday is this Friday, and as per family tradition she gets to choose where we go out to eat. I've been trying to steer her away from McDonald's or Sam's Club because, well, no thanks.

So this evening she has come up with two places to go to for her birthday dinner: Cinderella's Castle and Millie's house. (Apparently she thinks you guys live in a restaurant, Deidra Parish Hartwell.)

Think there's any way I could convince her that South Street Smokehouse is really Cinderella's Castle?

A big happy birthday to the baby of our family! Three is so very old, Miss Tess!











I find considerably more glitter in my dryer's lint trap now that we have a diva in the house.











Maren Roper Madsen
April 22
The trees are in blossom and refrains of "Popcorn Popping" can be heard - continuously - by anyone within Tess's vicinity.

Swoon. 











Maren Roper Madsen
May 5
I just bought the tickets so it's officially official: Lance and I are going to TAIWAN on the 31st!!!

So, who has Taipei/Taiwan/Asian travel tips/hints/suggestions for me?

Maren Roper Madsen
May 6
Me: Tess. you crraaaaazzzy kid!
Tess: No! I'm not crazy......... yet.

My Mother's Day gift finally came and Lance spent all afternoon putting it together. I'm a happy happy girl!







Me: What should we have for breakfast tomorrow?
Tess: Churros!!

If only, Tess, if only.

Maren Roper Madsen
May 23
The neighbors are putting up a new trampoline. Let the summer of broken arms and bruises begin! 

Maren Roper Madsen
May 23
My Hoosier babies. (Appropriate they're on a tractor, right?)







I gave Cole an old point-and-shoot camera of mine for his birthday. Today he discovered the flash.

It's like living with the paparazzi.

Maren Roper Madsen
May 29
Guess who's FIVE today?! (I can't believe it either.)











Maren Roper Madsen
May 29
On birthdays Fun Mom ignores the million things she has to do and rides the train at the park instead. #funmomrocks







Maren Roper Madsen
May 30
Yesterday I was feeling guilty and sad about leaving my kids for the next week. But after the day I've had with Tess and Cole, I'm having no such feelings anymore! #timetopack

Josh: Do you still wish you were in Taiwan?
Me: Umm, a little. But I'm happy to be home.
Josh: I wish you were still in Taiwan.
Me: What?! Do you like the Silvers more than me?
Josh: Yes.
Me: WHAT?! Do you wish they were your parents?
Josh: Yes. They were more fun.

Okay, Janene Christensen Silvers, looks like you've earned a brand new seven year old boy! I'll drop him off around 4:30. 

Summer is driving home from swimming lessons, all four kids singing along at the top of their lungs to "What Does the Fox Say" on the radio. 

Maren Roper Madsen
June 11
(Re)Introduced the kids to french fries dipped in ice cream. LIVES WERE CHANGED, PEOPLE.

All four children sobbing on the way to swimming lessons. I'm totally winning at this parenting thing.

Maren Roper Madsen
June 13
Had to wash Cole's mouth out with soap this afternoon because he has developed a biting problem. I'm totally winning this parenting thing.

Maren Roper Madsen
June 15
Not many girls can claim to have a super hero for a father. I can.

Happy Father's Day!
 — with ElRay Roper.











Josh: Mommy! This Pokemon card was made in 1995!
Me: Wow! I was only 17 years old then.
Josh: Whoa. This. Card. Is. OLD. It doesn't even look as old as you!

Down to my last jasmine flavor crunch plum. Sad, sad day! *nom*nom*











Another successful camping Madsen/Ream camping trip! The rain and humidity couldn't dampen the great time we had. (Like my pun there?) Goal for next year: a picture of all of us together! — with Gigi Andriese Ream and Craig Ream.

Maren Roper Madsen
June 21
Two front teeth lost less than 12 hours apart. He's already plotting how to spend his Tooth Fairy loot.











Yesterday I used the rain as an excuse not to go running. This morning I ran in 100% humidity. It felt like I was running in the rain. #nomoreexcuses#untilitstartssnowing

Dear Windows 8: hiding scanned files, changing my desktop background without asking, and constantly trying to get me to use your #$!@$!! "charms" is not good for our already battlefield-scarred relationship.

Maren Roper Madsen
June 30
Storm days at swimming lessons are sad days...











You should see the other guy! (Actually, the other guy is fine - the other guy is a sidewalk.)











Maren Roper Madsen
July 2
Tis the season!







Maren Roper Madsen
July 7
Just shy of 32 pounds of blueberries! I love summer in Indiana. 

Kinda freaked out for a few minutes because I couldn't find Tess anywhere in the house. Then I found her outside, pulling all of the blooms off of my day lilies. *Relieved Growl*

Maren Roper Madsen
July 9
Walking around non-pedestrian friendly Lafayette with kids is like playing a game of Frogger. Only I have four frogs, they ignore every command, and they each have a slight death wish.
Last Day of swimming lessons!! (Four weeks was LONG... but worth it!)







We've reached FIVE time outs today - one for each year of the the boy's life. He's not gonna reach six if he keeps this up. #thoughtwewereoverthisphase#iwaswrong

There's nothing more endearing than a 10 year old standing behind you, reading your FB feed,and passive-aggressively sighing because you won't let him play with your phone on a non-screen day. Oh look - he's stopped doing it!

Maren Roper Madsen
July 17
Happiness is a girl, her balloon, and a random assortment of toys enjoying a mild afternoon on the back porch.











I'm a child the 80's when it comes to my color palette choices on the rainbow loom.







"Fans" of South Dakota! Bwahaha! (Pun courtesy the kiddos.)







Maren Roper Madsen
July 20
Bucket list item crossed off! (The kids were all pictured out by this point.)











After driving for two LONG days I thought I'd put laundry off for a day or two and get the kids ready for school instead. Two rather gory bloody noses from Josh, and I've now decided laundry is a priority and school prep will have to wait. Welcome home, Maren!

Just spent a delightful FORTY-FIVE minutes on the phone with Comcast and my internet is still down. This day just keeps getting better and better. (Insert sarcasm font.) Oh, and the best part? The technician will come some time between 7AM and 8PM tomorrow. Ridiculous.

Today I got blamed for the internet not working, Wal-Mart being too big, a ball "falling too fast" (?), and the sprinker being too cold. Apparently my children think I rule the world and the laws of physics. (I do. I just choose to use my powers responsibly.)

Happy national s'mores day! You know what we'll be having for dessert tonight! 

We just celebrated national s'mores day by making s'mores on our back porch. Toward the end Josh and I made flaming marshmallows in honor ofDeidra Parish Hartwell, who gave me the s'mores kit, and ElRay Roper, who turned 60 years old today. (Flaming marshmallows = high honor in the world of a 7 year old boy.)

What do you do when the last day of summer vacation is cold and rainy? Let the kids go wild at Mary Lou's and go home to watch the movie "Holes" because you finished reading the book with them over the weekend. (Get it? Doughnut-Holes?!!) Mother of the Year points abound.

Fourteen years ago today I was holding hands with my brand new husband in the back of my parent's mini van, listening to snarky comments from my 16 year old brother, because Lance had accidentally left his car keys in the bag his dad had already taken home. We looked at each other and laughed because what else could we do?

He's still making me laugh every day. 

I think if a child wakes you up (and keeps you up) in the middle of the night then they should at least have the decency to leave you alone to cat nap for a bit in the afternoon. Tess does not agree.

This is the face of a boy who has bad allergies and an older brother Wii have him a fat lip with a Wii remote. Poor kiddo. ("Can I have the last cookie? It will make me feel a little better." He got the cookie.)







The thing I really love about Relief Society is that it always makes me want to be a better person. Not in a "I'm not good enough and need to get my act together" kind of way, but in a "I'm a pretty great person and am capable of so much" kind of way. I love Relief Society!

Cole: That makes me so bored!
Me: What makes you bored,m
Cole: That OATMEAL makes me so BORED!!!
Me: Umm, I'm sorry the oatmeal bores you?
Cole: That's alright.

No comments: