Monday, February 2, 2015

Super Bowl XLIX

So last night was the Super Bowl and even though no one in our home is a big football fan, all 6 of us are big fans of eating junk food in front of the TV together.  We had a lovely little spread of homemade sliders, a veggie tray, chips, shrimp, Oreo truffles, and mini cupcakes. If this seems an odd assortment of food, just remember what an odd assortment of children I have and then you won't wonder anymore.


The food was delicious, the game pretty exciting, and the ads were entertaining (both good and bad).


I'm pretty sure that Cole only ate chips the entire evening. Oh - and some random chocolate dipped marshmallows I had.

As we watched I realized that, besides General Conference, this is the ONLY live TV show we actually sit down to watch together as a family. Ever. How bizarre is that? As a kid the days of week were known for what was on TV that night. Friday nights were for TGIF, with Family Matters and Full House and whatnot. When I was a teenager you couldn't plan anything on Thursday nights because that NBC Must See TV, with Seinfeld, Friends, ER, etc. (Wait - was Seinfeld on Thursdays? I can't even remember anymore...)


The point is, I'm old. NO! The point is, my how times have changed! If we want to watch a show now we just stream it. Who has time to actually sit down and watch a show when it actually airs?! I don't even know if my kids realize how different this is from when I grew up. They certainly don't realize that we used to HAVE to watch commercials and we never dreamed of being able to watch shows without them. Bizzarro world.

As per usual I had a Super Bowl bet with my brother, Kevin, and as per usual I won! (Okay, not as per usual. I think we're probably about tied in that aspect. I don't really keep count. What say you, Kevin?)

I got to choose my team first this year, and the only reason I chose the Patriots was because they were listed first when I checked who was playing. Seriously. If I had waited a few days for Deflate-gate or had remembered I had bet (and won) on the Seahawks last year I would've totally gone with them. But such is the life of a once-a-year gambler.

It was a nail biter at the end. There was much rejoicing and "in-your-face"ing over FB messenger when the Pats managed not to lose. Kevin claims Pete Carroll owes me lunch, not him. And while Mr. Carroll probably did make a poor judgement call, I made the bet with Mr. Roper. You owe me lunch this summer, Kevin! And no just getting me a Slurpee this time!! (Although I truly did enjoy last year's Slurpee. Why oh why do we not have 7-11s around here?!)

No comments: