We also went up Provo Canyon one day. (Poor Susie had to work, and I'm pretty sure my dad didn't mind having a quiet house for a while!) We forced our kids to have a picnic by the river. You'd have thought we were torturing them. We were torturing them - WATER with lunch?! Sandwiches?! The same chips we had yesterday?! What were we thinking!?!?
Josh worked through the pain by climbing up random concrete/rock sculptures.
And the mood lightened considerably when we saw this piece of fine art someone left in a flowerbed.
Then we tortured them some more by making them climb around Bridal Veil Falls. Remember how we went there last year and Cole FREAKED OUT BIG TIME the whole time?
He didn't do that this time. In fact, he had a great time and was quite pleased with himself.
I heard other kids wailing while I was climbing up. I felt sorry for their parents, but pretty pleased that - for once - it wasn't one of my kids making all of the racket.
I can't remember why Lance was pouting, but I'm 99.99% sure it was because one of the kids was being a punk. My money is on Josh had been complaining. (That was a pretty safe bet for most of the trip.)
The cold water felt so good in the heat!
The kids kept saying "Taking my picture!" So I obliged.
Tess looks like she's doing acrobats, but in reality she was just about to fall off the log. Fortunately, she didn't fall all the way in the water and stayed pretty dry.
This boy. He's been so good lately. Well, not this afternoon. This afternoon he punched Josh in the gut and refused to apologize and was super sassy to me. So now he's in his room. But on the trip? So good!
On the drive out of the canyon I remarked that it was crazy we had never taken the kids to the BYU Creamery for cones. So we remedied that situation. No one complained about this part of the outing.
Except Josh. Because he complains about everything. But he didn't complain while his mouth was full of creamery goodness, so it was worth it. Also, at one point he remarked "I want to go to USB." I took us a few minutes realize he meant BYU. Go Cougs!
We told Spencer about how BYU hosts a ton of EFYs over the summer. I'm pretty sure he's sold on the idea for when he turns 14.
Miss Tess couldn't finish her generously sized kid cone, so Cole helped her out. He's always taking one for the team, that one.
That night we drove down to Mapleton to have dinner and celebrate Viggo's birthday at Laurie's son's house. (So that would make him and Lance step-brothers. Which is weird. But not? Whatever.)
It was a lovely evening, and our newest family members (Laurie's kids and Laurie herself) were gracious and kind. And very patient with my kids. Even when Tess had multiple meltdowns. (Jet lag, waterfall hiking, afternoon ice cream... all a bit too much.)
It was fun to see all of them and enjoy Viggo's birthday!




























No comments:
Post a Comment