So a few days ago I started noticing a weird smell down in the basement. I did a few initial searches for the cause but couldn't find anything. Since our doughnut party is coming up on Saturday, and because the smell was getting worse, yesterday I decided to really give the basement a good scrubbing and to find out what was causing the smell. I dusted and cleaned and put baking soda everywhere and then vacuumed that up... and nothing.
The smell was still there.
Then I finally narrowed it down to the bathroom. It was definitely stronger in there. But I still couldn't pinpoint it. It's like it moved. The smell was its own entity.
So I cleaned the sink drain. Nothing.
I cleaned the tub drain. Nothing.
I cleaned the dang toilet inside and out. Nothing.
And then I gave up. Because it was late afternoon and I still hadn't showered and I had other stuff to do.
That night I got Lance in on the search. We had both smelled this smell before but couldn't remember from where. And then Lance remembered: the ceiling tiles! We have a drop-down ceiling in the basement and if those tiles get wet they sometimes get moldy and stinky.
Yes! That was it! Now to find the offending tile.
Only we couldn't. And the smell was getting even worse and even stronger and we were even more certain it was emanating from the bathroom.
Lance got out the ladder and we were looking up in the tiles in the ceiling in there. Nothing. Could it be the bathroom fan? Coming from the vent? Nope and nope.
And then Lance looked around the bathroom and said "Wait, is that pee on the wall?"
Yep.
There was pee all over the wall. The wall less than 3 feet away from the toilet.
Erlack. And EWWW!!!
So I feel dumb for not noticing this before, but not really because 1) I don't ever really use this bathroom. Not nearly as much as the kids do. 2) The walls are a yellowish off-white. And 3) Who in their right minds would ever suspect that the smell is PEE ON THE WALL?!?! (Well, I might now. And you might, too. But before this little episode? No one.)
So I got to work and basically scrubbed that entire bathroom down with disinfectant and vinegar. Then I steam mopped the floor a dozen times. And then I left a bowl of vinegar in there overnight.
And the smell is gone.
Lance and I are almost positive it was Cole. Spencer's just too old for those kind of antics, and Josh doesn't seem the type. And there's no way Cole will admit to his crimes. (And for all we know, it might not be him. We have a lot of boys going through this house.) So instead of bringing my wrath down on him, I made a little announcement at dinner tonight that went something like this:
"Someone peed on the bathroom wall." *pause for kid giggles* "It's gross and disgusting and not okay. We don't know who did it. But if it happens again, EVERYONE will be punished. Well, except Tess. Because she can't pee on a wall that high."
Yes, by virtue of her gender, Tess will probably always remain blameless for this crime. This did not sit well with the boys. Actually, it wasn't that so much as the everyone gets punished if it happens again. But c'mon, I am not the bathroom police. I'm not a detective. If someone's gonna pee on the wall, then the punishments will come and I'm pretty sure justice will be served some way or another to the offender through his brothers.
It's like I'm living in a frat house. Snack wrappers everywhere, random underpants and socks on the floor, and now pee where pee has no right to be. (I'm cracking down on the wrappers and the underpants and socks, though. And the pee, I guess. But mainly the other things because those have been more consistently a problem...)
Just when I think I'm getting the hang of this parenting thing... someone pees on the wall. (I need to needlpoint that on a pillow or something.)
No comments:
Post a Comment