On Monday I decided to start my redo of the upstairs kids' bathroom. I was just about done when I went to step onto the side of the tub and then *BAM*. My foot slipped, my ankle buckled, and that was that.
Actually, I didn't think it was that bad at first. I had literally 2 minutes worth of painting left, so I did that. Then I hobbled a bit. Then I decided I should probably at least wrap it up for a bit. Then it started to swell. And then I knew I was in trouble.
That night poor Lance had to come home and make dinner and wrangle kids and whatnot while I was laid up in bed with my foot on pillows. An ice pack was my best friend.
That night it was swollen pretty much all the way around my ankle - even on the top, which I don't think I've ever seen before. It just ached, but I could put weight on it so I knew it wasn't broken. Ice packs and ibuprofen were my constant companions.
I spent pretty much all of Tuesday off my feet. It was both luxurious and frustrating. Fortunately, I had planned on working on the bathroom for two days, so I didn't have any appointments or errands to run. Unfortunately, the bathroom was not done, and not being able to do anything about it drove me nuts! I did, however, get a 2 hour nap, which was pretty awesome. I worked on doughnut part stuff and edited papers.
The next day I was able to move a bit more and was even able to do a bit of touch-up paint in the bathroom. By Thursday I was able to go to the dentist and run errands for several hours, and on Friday I went to the pumpkin patch and out to lunch. Hobbling all the while, but much better!
I must've done a bit too much yesterday, because it's all achy again today. There's a fine line between making sure you move enough to regain strength and not so much that you wear yourself out. (I've always had issues with that, especially after my c-sections. You'd think I'd learn. Nope.)
Here are my lovely bruises today. Josh swears he can't tell the difference between my right (uninjured) foot and my gimpy left. Josh is a punk.
I wear an elastic brace most of the time, which helps a lot. Mainly I just feel dumb. I haven't had an injury like this since high school, and I remember recovering a lot more quickly then! (Oh the difference 20+ years makes.)
I'm hoping by next week to get back to walking a bit more and getting my 10,000 steps a day, and then jogging again by November. In the meantime, I'll keep working bit by bit on that dang bathroom!




No comments:
Post a Comment