Saturday, January 21, 2017

Purdue Jazz Festival

Today I chaperoned some of the Jazz Band kids at the Purdue Jazz Band festival. It was interesting! I still feel like a total band N00B, so all things band are still a bit of a mystery to me.

They started out by playing 3 of their songs for some judges. Only, they weren't judging - there were no prizes to be one. I don't know the word for these guys. They're REALLY into jazz and took lots of notes on each performance, and then gave the band a review on what they did well and what they could improve upon. (I must be tired. I cannot for the life of me think of their title. Oh well. You get what I mean, right?)

Spencer played piano for the first piece. He's getting so big!



Those are the reviewers in front of me. They'd talk into their little voice recorders and swing and bop to the music. They were REALLY into it. I mean, REALLY. For a middle school band. Those men were dedicated! (That's what you'd want, though, right?)






Here they are getting a little instruction. It was actually really interesting and made me realize how untrained my ear really is, at least as far as the intricacies of jazz music goes.


Spencer even got some one-on-one instruction! He's really learned a lot about music this year.


Afterwards, the kids all attended a session to learn more about jazz, so I wandered the Student Union, which is a pretty cool, if poorly designed, building. Its layout is just so weird! It was fun to see all the middle and high schoolers wandering around, so excited to be there.

We had a quick lunch in the Union basement and then went to the Purdue Jazz Band concert. It was pretty awesome. Okay, I'll admit I might have dozed off for a bit in the middle. But it was so warm in that concert hall, and the songs in the middle were so mellow and soothing. But I was totally awake for the more upbeat tunes!

It was fun to be with Spencer and watch him interact with his friends. These are all good kids. (Troublemakers aren't likely to put in the time and effort to be in Jazz Band, right?) I'm so glad Spencer gets to have experiences like this, and that I get to join him for some of them!

No comments: