Monday, June 4, 2007

Reverently... quietly...

**Update** I loved Karlea's story about her cousin, so she's the winner! However, since you live on the other side of the continent I can't send you live basil! So be looking for a mystery prize in the mail in the next week or so! Congrats!


I would like "Reverently, Quietly" to be the theme song for our family during Sacrament meeting. And usually we're pretty close to that. Okay, kinda close to that. (As close as you can be with two little boys.)

Yesterday it was more like "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns N' Roses.

Lance was asked to help pass the sacrament. Spencer did NOT like this; for some reason he only wants to sit with Lance at church. I explained several times why he couldn't be with daddy, and thought he understood as we started to sing the opening hymn. Wrong. He soon decided that he couldn't sing and neither could I. He got mad when I opened the hymnal, grabbed an extra one from the bench, and chucked it at me. Oh no he di'in't! I grabbed him and quickly whisked him out of the chapel. (Good thing the Livengoods, who were sitting behind us, had stolen Josh from me earlier.) Spencer knew he had misbehaved and was pretty repentant, so after a time-out in an empty classroom we returned to our seats.

He was fine for about ten seconds when he decided, yet again, that he needed daddy. I tried to divert him with toys. I tried to read him his special sacrament book. I tried to reason with him. I showed him where daddy was and what he was doing. No dice. By the time the sacrament was halfway over he had started running up and down our pew, saying "I need Daddy! I need Daddy!" People without children (or who haven't had young kids in decades) turned around to give me the look. I tried to grab him and take him out without making a scene, but that wasn't happening either. With a final cry of "I NEED DADDY!" I carried him out.

What he really needed was a swift kick in the pants. But I decided that church probably wasn't the place to institute a new corporal punishment policy in my child rearing practices.

Long story short, we had a long conversation about why we needed to be reverent in church. We eventually made it back into the chapel where Spencer found "safety" in Daddy's lap - until he started misbehaving again five minutes later.

Ah, the joys of children.

I can't be the only one with children who act awfully in church. (No denying it - I've heard them!) What's the worst thing your kids have done in church? A homegrown potted basil plant, perfect for cooking, to the person with the best story. (I know it has nothing to do with being reverent, but I have a lot of extra basil!)

Or, if your kids really are angels (hahaha), what's the worst thing you ever did in church? My brother, Kevin, and I used to write snotty notes to each other and giggle and whisper through the whole meeting - and that was during the summers I was home from college! Or there was the time my mom was dragging my brother, Kyle, down the aisle to take him outside. Kyle let go of her hand and my mom fell on her bum right in the middle of the chapel! Or when my brothers wrestled under the pews, rolling 4-5 aisles down from ours. Or the time when Kevin went through a hating church phase and decided he wasn't going to get dressed, so one Sunday my mom made him go in his underwear. (He was around three years old.) He quickly got dressed once he saw some little old ladies gasp at seeing the bishop's son with no clothes! Good times, good times.

5 comments:

Ginger said...

I totally want so basil!!! But I have no cool stories. I was basically an only child with my mom at church. I mostly just slept throught Sacrament Meeting until I was about 16. My primary teacher tried to make a deal with me once where if I stayed awake, she would give me a package of cookies. I fell for it of course.

Sam isn't that bad. Leah is getting pretty grumpy about church, but I've found that if I bring enough juice, she'll keep her mouth shut most of the time.

Andrea said...

Maren,
That was great. Its always funnier when it's not your kid and after the fact. The next time Elise gives me grief in church I'll remember I'm not alone. :)

Karlea said...

hHAHAHAHA...I laugh only in sympathy. Matthew cheered after a very beautiful Hawaiian quartet when he was two. It was completely silent then he broke out, "YEAH" with clapping. Ahhhh...but my cousin was the best. He was rolling on the floor and as my uncle dragged him out of church, he screamed at the top of his lungs, "You let me go...you have no right to treat me like a dog." Pretty funny.

The Holdaway's said...

Jase's latest thing is throwing anything he can get his hands on (mainly toys and snacks) at either Joseph or myself. And he loves to army crawl under the pews, especially if he sees a friend...

The funniest thing for me is when we get to church all he wants to do is go to the nursery (aka-play group). Then after Sacrament we teel him it is time to go to nursery and he cries and cries. Now he has been going to nursery for over 6 months now, so get over it... Now we just have to half drag him/carry him there and then we leave; no more staying with him. At least now he doesn't cry when we come to get him...

Karlea said...

Ahhh...I NEVER win anything! You just made my day!!