Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's Not November...

...until the Madsens visit the Urgent Care Center!

Yes, two years ago I had to go in at the crack of dawn because of a nasty ear infection. On Thanksgiving morning. (And yes, I was making dinner that day.)

One year ago we had to take Spencer in for his cracked elbow. It was a Sunday evening, of course. Because apparently kids can't get seriously hurt or sick unless it's a cold Sunday evening.

Which leads us to this evening.

Poor Joshie. He had bad diarrhea today. He had to stay home from church with Daddy and Spencer. (Side note: I had an early meeting and so I got to go church by myself. I have to admit it was one of the best sacrament meetings I've had in quite a while!) But he was getting better. Until his late afternoon nap, after which things took a loud, tantrum-y turn for the worse.

Josh just would not stop crying. He was MAD. He was ANGRY. He didn't know what he wanted, but he knew it wasn't anything we had to offer. GRAAAWWWWEEERRR! So we tried to give him a bath to help calm down. No dice. He just screamed and bellowed and didn't want to get out but didn't want to be in, either. BAAAAAAAWWWWWRRRR!

But during this bath we noticed some pretty nasty diaper rash in a rather... ah... sensitive area. No wonder the kid was angry! So we called the pediatrician, who recommended a trip to Urgent Care. After Lance dressed a flailing, out of control Josh and strapped him in the car, Josh and I were off.

Josh calmed down during the car ride and even behaved while we got him checked in. (Which was really quick, since they know us pretty well.) He even let the doctor check him even though I could tell he didn't like it one bit.

The diagnosis? A fungal infection. Treat with an anti-fungal cream, it'll be gone in a couple days.

That's right. I paid a $25 co-pay to be told he has baby jock itch.

Silver lining: our reason for an Urgent Care Visit could have been much more serious. As we well know. Let's hope next year is just as minor.

4 comments:

Christy said...

I hope I don't jinx you, but November isn't over yet.

I'm glad it was just baby jock itch!

ElRay M Roper said...

I had to wait until I was 17 to get a 'fungal' infection. I knew one of my grandsons would be an athlete.

Maren said...

Christy - I know November isn't over. But our pattern so far is only once a month, so I'm not too worried. Well, okay, a little worried. But only because you have now jinxed me! I hold you completely responsible. :)

Maren said...

Dad - we always knew our children were over achievers, in academics, sports, and fungal infections. It makes a momma proud.