Wednesday, March 11, 2009

No Laughing Matter


As I briefly mentioned yesterday, I've noticed an interesting phenomenon in the reactions people give when they learn I will soon have three boys.

(Side note: I just want to clarify that I'm not judging anyone here. I'm not insulted in any way by any of the reactions. In fact, one of my little philosophies about life is that most people aren't out to intentionally offend you. It's usually done by accident. And if it's not on accident, then don't give them the satisfaction of acknowledging it. I find my life is a lot happier and easier with this idea. And thus endeth Maren's lecture on life today.)

Anywho, I find the reactions tend to fall into these four general categories:
  • Laughter: HHHAAAAHHAAAHAAA!!! (And that's it. It can be a little awkard.)
  • Laughter and apologies: Hahahhhaaah! I am soooo sorry for you! I mean, it's great. Really. But sorry.
  • Laughter and premonitions of doom: Hhhaaaahhaaa!! Oh man, are you in for it. You're house is gonna be soooo busy and loud!
  • Laughter and not knowing what else to say: Hhhaaaahahaa! Oh... that's, uh... great. Yeah.
First, I find it interesting that everyone seems to laugh. Is it because they don't know what else to do and are buying time? Do they really think it's that funny? Or are they just spectacularly happy for me and are laughing for joy? (Yeah, right.)

Second, I've noticed that those who apologize or bring the premonitions of doom rarely have sons or any children at all. What up with that? How would they know what I'm in for? Sure, there's this preconceived notion that little boys are wild and crazy and loud and very much a handful. And there's a reason for this notion: THEY ARE. But I suspect girls can be just as much a handful; maybe in different ways, but still.

Now don't get me wrong - I know there are big differences between genders. But I don't know that it makes a huge difference in the easiness of raising boys or girls. I think personality plays a much bigger role. Take, for example, my two little XY chromosome carriers.

Spencer: angel baby
Joshie: imp of satan baby (I looovvee you, Joshie! Love. You. But you were a rough baby to have. I'm just sayin'.)

Spencer: loves schedules, charts, organization
Joshie: loves chaos, distruction, and the element of surprise in implementing the chaos and destruction

Spencer: generally obedient and very sensitive to any kind of discipline
Joshie: couldn't care less about time outs or being in trouble; thrives on the attention

I guess what I'm saying is, each gender has different but equally difficult aspects when raising children. Why do people assume boys are so much harder?

Well, anyways, I had been thinking about this a bit when last Sunday I got a reaction that I never received. A woman at church caught up to me in the hall and the conversation went a little something like this:

Anonymous Lady: Maren Madsen! I heard your wonderful news! Another boy!
Me (waiting for the laughter or apologies): That's right! My three sons...
AL: You are just so lucky, so blessed. Really. What a neat opportunity.
Me (thrown off a bit): Uh, yeah, yes I am?
AL (most sincerely): You know, I only got to have one child, a son, and I would have given anything to have even one more, but you get to have two! Little boys are just so special and such a blessing!
Me (still surprised): Yeah. We figure the Lord just needs lots of elder missionaries in a few years, and we're supplying that need. Haha.
AL (most sincerely still): Well, you'll just do a great job raising them. I really am truly happy for you.
Me (happily): Well, thank you! That means a lot.

I think I've found my new favorite response.

I truly am blessed. And will be even more so in May. I can't wait.

9 comments:

Ginger said...

First: I can't believe you are due in May. Seriously? Man, I haven't seen you in forever.

Second: I think that the order of the children have a lot to do with them too. Sam also seems to be more obedient. Leah seems to be more crazy.

Third: Girls are loud if not louder. Leah puts up a really good fight. And then she adds her girlish ways to the fight too.

beSlightlyAskew said...

I love boys. And if I do have another I hope it is a boy. I think it's awesome to have 3. I guess it's kinda funny in a way because they are usually loud and crazy but I think it'll just get more and more fun for your family.

The Holdaway's said...

I'm not sure on the order meaning much because Jase is way crazy and less obedient than Meghan. I've also heard that boys cause more headaches until 7-8 and then the girls are all moody from there on out...

The Holdaway's said...

And, I actually wanted Meghan to be a boy...

Maren said...

Ginger
1) It has been too long since I've seen you. Where have you been hiding?

2) Birth order could have something to do with it. Then again, Lance is a middle child and was the most obedient, mild mannered of the bunch.

3) Glad to know that loudness isn't always a gender factor. (In fact, from primary I had pretty much figured that out already!)

Maren said...

Heather - but I'm glad you had your cute little Meghan. I can't imagine you having a boy now... :)

Trista Groshon said...

Okay your Spencer/Joshie breakdown, that's pretty much Ian/Zoe to a T.

I agree with AL too.
I love seeing a family of handsome young men all dressed in their suits.
You will be a very proud mama of 3 priesthood holders, how lucky are you?

Melissa said...

My MIL had 6 boys and survived (with most of her sanity). She does say she much prefers that to 6 girls, can we say DRAMA. We should get you two together and she could tell you some STORIES!

Jen said...

Have you ever heard that phrase, "a boy is a boy, 2 boys is half a boy, and 3 boys is no boy at all?" I love that one. Boys will do things in groups that they would never do on their own. My favorite story is from my mom's neighbor, who has a hole in her couch from her boys doing blue darts. Classic.

That being said, I think you should count your blessings. I love my daughter, but seriously, boys are way easier to raise!! I don't do to well with all the emotions.

I'm way happy for you, and I want to be on record that when I found out about boy #3, I DIDN'T laugh!! Love you guys!