Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Card Catalogs and Other Pretend Things

First things first:





Thanks, Grandpa and Grandma, for the uber-fun vampire teeth suckers.  My house was actually quiet for a few minutes!




Josh was a little hesitant at first, but once he saw Spencer he jumped right in.  And by 'jumped right in' I mean instead of sucking on the sucker like a normal kid he chewed it all up in about three minutes flat.  That kid loves his sugar.  Saturday night is gonna be fuuunn.  (And by 'fun' I mean miserable when we won't let him take the candy to bed.  Because you know he's gonna want to.)

This afternoon Spencer decided we needed to watch one of the greatest movies of all time: Ghostbusters.  (Twenty-five years old this year and still awesome.)  I didn't really think the boys would watch much of it; I figured I'd turn it on, they'd watch five minutes, and then start running around and playing and whatnot.

I was right about that on Josh's count, but not Spencer - that boy sat through the entire movie, loving every minute of it.  He luuuvved the ghosts and the beams and the loud car.  Most of the jokes (and, thankfully) the potty words went right over his head.

Before I started the movie we had a brief discussion about how ghosts are just pretend; they can't hurt you because they are not real.  It's fun to be a little scared!  Ghosts are fun because they are pretend! 

Spencer to Josh: Ghosts are pretend!  And funny!

Josh: Yeah!  Pretend!

I told them if they got too scared they could tell me and we'd turn the movie off.  I got several bored "I knowwwwwwww"s and rolling of the eyes.  In other words "Yada yada yada, lady, just start the movie!"  Okay then.

A few minutes into the movie I heard the boys howling with laughter - the polterguist was making all of the cards fly out of the card catalog in the NYC library.  The following conversation occurred:

Spencer: Mommy, what is that?  What are those papers?

Me: That's the card catalog for the library.

Spencer: The what?  What is that?

Me: The card catalog.  That's how people found books in the library.  Before computers.

Spencer: They what?!

Me: You know how when we go to the library and Mommy wants to find a book and she looks on the computer?  The computer tells her where the book is?

Spencer: Yes.

Me: Well, they didn't have computers then.  They had cards that you had to look up.  Made of paper.

Spencer (incredulously): No computers?!

Me: No computers.

Spencer: That's funny!  That's pretend!

Josh: Pretend!! Hahahaha!

Boy.  Talk about a generation gap.  Perhaps the boys were more afraid of a world without computers than a world with ghosts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are so cute!!! Grandma Susie