Thursday, November 5, 2009

And the Good Times Just Keep on Rollin'

This morning I woke up and took stock of my flu symptoms while laying in bed in the dark:
  • Head?  Not pounding.
  • Arms and legs?  Not aching.
  • Tired?  Yes, but not as much as on other mornings.
  • Fever?  Nada.
  • Throat?  A little scratchy, but okay.
Hooray!  I'm over this flu!  I survived!

And then I yawned.


AAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!

My. Throat. Was. On. FIRE.

Seriously, it hurt so bad I just about cried.  And then the boys came running into my room demanding breakfast and the baby started crying.  And I tried to talk but realized that I couldn't.  I couldn't swallow, either.  My lava throat was so swollen it was all I could do not to drool.

Flash forward three hours and I'm sitting in the doctor's office with a tongue depressor and mini flashlight in my mouth.

"Wow.  That's a category 5 hurricane in the sore throat world," said the doctor.  "Why didn't you come in sooner?"

"Great.  Stop making me talk and give me the freakin' drugs!" I thought.  "And work on some better metaphors.  Sheesh!"

"It didn't get bad until this morning," I replied.

So now I'm on a wonderfully strong cocktail of nursing-friendly-so-of-course-more-expensive antibiotics.  (I'm allergic to the cheap and nursing-friendly amoxacillin.)  And antibiotics always make my tummy hurt, so it's like I'm back to square one again.

So.

Give me a few more days.  I'll have either contracted the plague or finally be disease free and back to blogging. 

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Maren! I am so, so sorry. This is exactly what happened to me the week of the great cake cooking class! ARGH! It was awful! I went through these exact same stages...the headache left and achiness left...and then came the sore throat. I found I wasn't swallowing my spit the whole day because it hurt so bad. This is what finally made me take myself to urgent care. Anywho--I REALLY feed bad for you. And taking care of 3 kids on top of that and a nursing baby. I hope you can get some rest this weekend...

Trista Groshon said...

I SOO feel your pain after having strep twice in October! Gregg stayed home and I think I did literally lay in bed and cry! My throat was a cesspool of the nastiest bumps, it was disgusting!
I hope those antibiotics kick in fast and get you better quick! and no wonder amoxicillin is cheaper, it doesn't work! The stuff that did work made my tummy hurt too though... and did lots of other great things to my body!! The gift that keeps on giving!
Get better soon!!