Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lance's Birthday

Poor Lance; his birthday is at a hard time of year, at least for our family.  It seems like there's always something going on; vacations, activities, bad weather, whatever.  Last year it was kinda ignored because I had had Cole a couple of weeks before.  And this year Lance had to work late on his birthday and the day after his birthday, and then he had a LAN party the day after that.

But instead of being all upset about it, Lance was his usual happy, laid back self.  His birthday wishes were as follows: 
  1. Celebrate on the 12th instead of the 9th.
  2. A shopping spree at the computer geek Mecca, Fry's Electronics, with no kids and no wives.  (And by shopping spree I mean with a very set budget.  Spree just sounds more fun.)
  3. A Snicker's cheesecake.
Done, done, and done.
Here's how the cake turned out.  Tasty tasty.


Why yes, that is a super-spy holding his birthday candle.  A little inside joke between Lance and I.  Don't ask.  (Because I won't tell you.)


As per tradition, I forgot once again to take a picture of the birthday boy.  Oops.  But I did get a video of our wonderful singing!


Well, I might not have any pictures of him, but I do have 32 Lance fun facts for you to enjoy.  (I don't think I've ever done the whole Number-of-Birthdays-List thing before.  Feel privileged, Lance!)
  1. Born at home in Vista, CA, where my brother, Kyle, now lives.  (Small world.)
  2. Once crashed his jet ski into the beach when he was a kid.  Apparently he could have died or something.  
  3. Is the middle child, but most certainly does not conform to most middle child stereotypes.  Except for the non-conforming thing.
  4. Loves Dr. Pepper.
  5. Loves horror movies.
  6. Is the LANily Home Evening Capo di Tutti Capi (a.k.a. Godfather)
  7. Let me name Spencer and Josh, but ended up being the one to decide on Cole.  (I had come up with the name Cole, but I wanted to name him Oliver.  Lance put his foot down.  I'm glad he did.)
  8. His paternal grandfather's middle name was William, his father's first name is William, Lance's middle name is William, and Spencer's middle name is William.  
  9. We've lived in this house for 4 years, which is the longest time Lance has ever lived in one place.
  10. A few of his favorite childhood movies include Tron and The Last Starfighter.  This probably explains a lot to some of you.
  11. Thinks he's too cool for Facebook.  Perhaps he is.
  12. Favorite wife is Maren. (Just making sure you're paying attention.)
  13. Has a somewhat unhealthy addiction to any and all things pasta.
  14. Has a way of cleaning a baby's face after they've eaten that makes everyone (including the baby) laugh.  I'll try to record it some time.
  15. Is a TV snob.  Don't deny it, Lance.
  16. Would play video games for a living, if he could.  (Okay, that's just an assumption on my part.)
  17. Transferred from SUU to the UofU so I would marry him.  (I was NOT willing to live in Cedar City.)
  18. Can fall asleep in approximately 39.2 seconds.  I'm totally jealous.
  19. Luuurrrvvvess going on long car trips with all of the kids.  Oh wait a sec - I mean, he hates that.
  20. Refuses to cut the umbilical cord because, "That's what we're paying the doctor for." 
  21. Hates watching baseball.  (Oh, the shame.  Baseball is the best.)
  22. Has seen every single episode of the X Files ever.
  23. Really likes me with long hair.  Sometimes I humor him with this.  (Like now.)
  24. Has been the Ward Executive Secretary for over four years.  That's a long time.
  25. Is the reigning Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party champion in our home.
  26. Should be nicknamed "The Computer Whisperer".
  27. Is mildly afraid of spiders.
  28. Favorite meal at McDonald's is the #2 - two cheeseburgers, fries and a drink.
  29. Says the same thing to me every time I leave for bunko: "If you don't win a prize, don't bother coming home."  This makes me laugh, mainly because we all know that I very rarely win anything.
  30. Brings home a little love note for me every day after work.
  31. Still gets lost in Lafayette sometimes.  Okay, maybe not lost.  But he likes taking the long way sometimes.
  32. Can read my mind.  No, really.
Lance is often in the background of my blog; he's not really in the spotlight much.  (That's mainly because he's not quite as cute as the boys when he runs around in his underpants or make huge messes when he eats.)  But he's definitely the best part of my life and I'm so glad to have him in it.  I love you, Lance.  Happy birthday!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I definitely feel like I know Lance better. He reminds me of my brothers, who I would also classify as computer whisperers. Happy Birthday Lance!

Christine Merrill said...

Um, yeah, Marriner's with you on cutting the umbilical cord, Lance!