Saturday, November 19, 2011

Awards from Stalkers

Every once in a while I'll have some random person either email me, comment on my blog, or even find me face-to-face and tell me that even though we don't know each other they stalk my blog and love it. 

I love these stalkers.

Every once in a while I'll have some random person will either email me, comment on my blog, or find me face-to-face and try to get me to give them my social security number, my mother's maiden name, or a lock of my hair.

I hate those stalkers.

Okay, just so we're clear - that last little bit was a total lie.  I've never had a scary stalker.  But I really do have a few bloggie stalkers, and they are nothing but fun.  Especially when they flatter me.  I wish I really could get to know them all in real life.  You know, so they could flatter me in real life.  (Just kidding!)  (Kind of!)  Could we have a big Blogging Stalker Conference, where little bloggers like us could meet everyone we've met online in person?  Move over, BlogHer, the BSC is movin' in!  (Between this and the mom-hospital I mentioned the other day, I'm really on a roll!)  (How is it that I'm not a millionaire yet?)

Anywho,  I met one of these friends just the other day.  (Okay, maybe a week ago, but I'm only now getting around to this post because I really wanted to have time to give it justice.)  Her name is Anna, of the blog annadotes.com. (Don't you dig the name?!)  I'm not sure how Anna found my blog, but I'm glad she did.  Any girl who admits to eating 5 Double Stuffed Oreos for breakfast is a girl I want to know.  Anna awarded me with a coveted Tell Me About Yourself Chain Letter Award, which I am only to happy to accept right now.

Only instead of telling you seven normal things about myself, I think I'll tell you seven unusual things.  This might be a bit difficult because let's face it - there's not much I haven't talked about on this blog.  Let's go.
  1. I love grape-flavored candy.  But not just any grape candy - Japanese grape-flavored candy.  It tastes nothing at all like a real grape. (Just like American grape-flavored candy, but whatever.) The first time I had it when I was a kid I wondered if anyone in Japan had ever seen a real grape, let alone tasted one, because that is not how grapes taste.  But the more I had the more I liked it.  Man, it's been a long time since I've had Japanese candy.  I need to make a little trip over to the Asian Market this week... Wait, why did I seemingly have so much Japanese candy when I was a kid?
  2. I took Japanese in Kindergarten through 2nd grade.  I went to an international magnet school in Raleigh, NC for those grades.  We got to choose electives to take, and I chose Japanese.  Why?  I think because my uncle had just gotten back from a mission in Japan, so it seemed like a good idea. Plus, the teacher gave us candy.
  3. I hate fake birds.  No wait - I think I've mentioned this before on my blog.  Well, it bears repeating.  I hate fake birds, with their beady little eyes and pointy little beaks.  My mom used to put fake birds on the tree and on this big vine in our house and I hated it.  It felt like they were all staring at me.  One year she turned them all to face me while we ate Christmas dinner, and everyone teased me while those wee bitty eyes stared. My mom was obviously the world's best teacher - now you know where I get all of my "worst mom in the world" tactics. (Haha!)
  4. I still get really sad when Dr. Green dies on ER.  I mean, sad.  Like actual tears and stuff.  Not that I watch that part all the time, but every once in a while I'll break out my DVD collection and go to town.  And there's Dr. Green (a.k.a. Goose, a.k.a. Anthony Edwards) dying in Hawaii with his rotten teenage daughter being all whiny, and then "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole starts playing and I just can't handle it.  *sniff*sniff* Oh Dr. Green!  You left us too early!
  5. I wish I could write like Charles Dickens.  I mean, really, I wish I could write like Charles Dickens.  Because he was a true master.  The more I read him, the more I am amazed at what a wonderful wordsmith he was.  Forget Shakespeare.  Well, no, don't forget him - he was pretty hot stuff too, as far as pretty phrases and awesome plots go.  But Mr. Dickens!  How I am beginning to love you!  My kindle clippings folder was full of awesome quotes from his books, but somehow most of them got erased.  But here are two of my favorite that I remembered: "for it is good to be children sometimes, never better than at Christmas, when its mighty Founder was a child himself." A Christmas Carol  "Those extraordinary voices with which silence teems." Great Expectations  You, Mr. Dickens, sir, ROCK. 
  6. I've had "It's Not About the Money" by Jessie J and "All the Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" by Beyonce in my head for the past three days.  Oh, and "Moves Like Jagger" by Maroon 5.  Where did they come from?  Who knows.  Wait - I just now put it together.  (No, really.)  Aerobics.  All of these songs are prominent at aerobics.  Ah, now I feel better.  Perhaps #7 should be about how I'm not always so quick on the uptake lately...
  7. Actually, that is what number seven is about.  See, I used to be smart.  And I remembered things.  Everything.  I mean, yeah, I'd have my moments like everyone else, but really - growing up I was the smart one with the day planner.  That was my thing.  I was on the ball, could always be depended on.  And now, four kids later?  I can barely remember my kids' birth dates when they ask for them at the pediatrician's office.  (No really, I have to stand there and really think about it for a second.)  In the last month or so I have forgotten several important events.  Like the Primary Program practice.  I know, seriously, right?!  ME?  Forgetting THAT?  The irony.  And I totally blew off a birthday party that Josh was supposed to go to.  Big oops.  And there was something else that I forgot, but now I honestly cannot remember what that was.  My only explanation is that my kids are zombies, because they have each taken a rather large chunk of my brain and eaten it. 
Okay, so now I'm supposed to pass this award on to 15 other blogs.  Yeah, that's not gonna happen.  But I will pass it on to a few.  Not that I'm gonna email them about it, because it's late and we've spent all day painting a bathroom and fixing a wobbly toilet.  (Don't ask.)  If they read it on here, great.  If not, well, that's not the end of the world.

First, Karlea Carruth.  Perhaps this will get you in the blogging mood again, Karlea?  Fun fact: Karlea and I had a professor in college who used to mess up our names all the time and actually called us "Marlea" more than once.  Awesome.

Second, my dad, of the famous EMR's Ruminations.   Because he's been spending the week in Florida, living it up in places like Harry Potter World.  Nevermind that I'm stuck here in Indiana and that I'm the bigger Harry fan.  He should just have to do something, is all I'm sayin'... (Love you, Dad!)

Third, Janene, as in the wife of The Great David.  (That's what his name says in the ward directory - really.)  (Wait - I just checked it and it doesn't anymore.  That's too bad, David.  When did you get demoted?)  Anywho, Janene and her husband are now Josh's primary teachers.  That in itself deserves a medal, not a chain letter blog thingy.  But hey, life's not fair.  And I want to know more about Janene!

6 comments:

Ginger said...

Wait...Dr. Green died? Wow, I have a lot of catching up I guess....

Bonnie said...

Oh Maren...!
I'm one of those stalkers--not a total stranger--Leila's mom--and I simply love how you make laugh. I wish I had written down more of the hilarity of motherhood. And believe you me, it was, and still is, comedy central at our house. I think all of heaven tuned in to see just what would happen next at the Ellsworth household.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

PS I know Gig Harbor is a lo-o-ong way off, but stop by for a slice of pie if you're in the neighborhood!

The Holdaway's said...

I think Anna found you through my blog when I linked to something a long time ago... We knew each other years ago at the MSU University Ward, the ward I joined the church in. It is fun to share friends and if you guys met, you'd totally hit it off. In fact she'd be a great bunko addition...oh how I miss bunko...

Janene said...

Man, I was avoiding getting tagged by keeping a low-blogging-profile! Oh, well. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll probably respond.

David lost his "The Great David" title when the Church updated the website, and now there's not a way to change it back. :(

Maren said...

@Ginger - sorry, I should have given a spoiler alert before the whole Dr. Green announcement. A TEN YEAR OLD spoiler alert, but whatever... ;)

Bonnie - You're not a total stranger! I'm pretty sure we met at least once while Leila lived here. And you bet - if I'm ever in the vicinity of Gig Harbor, I'm totally coming over for some pie!

Anna said...

So glad you posted! Yes, one degree of separation from Heather. :)