This evening I discovered that I hate sewing patches onto Cub Scout shirts.
More specifically, the patches that are the sleeves.
Seriously?! Could there be a worse place to have a bunch of patches? I mean, I know I am by no means a skilled seamstress, but I can do most of the basics.
In case you couldn't tell, this evening I finally got around to sewing Spencer's patches on his shirt. I had had an inkling that it wouldn't be a fun chore, but tomorrow is that great rite of passage, the Pinewood Derby, so I knew it had to be done.
Man, I hate sewing patches on sleeves.
As I sewed (and picked out stitches, and sewed again), I came to the conclusion that it must have been a bunch of men who decided to put all those patches on the sleeves, because no woman would inflict such punishment on her sisters. I imagined a scenario something like this between the guys who designed the uniform:
Bill: Hey! Those demo uniforms sure look nice!
Ted: I thought so. But they seem to be missing something. They need some... flair.
Bill: I know! How 'bout some more patches? You can never have too many patches. Like a flag and a council patch? Oh, and the pack number. The longer the better!
Ted: Yeah, but with all the advancement patches and other stuff, that makes the front look a little too busy.
Bill: I know - let's put them on the sleeves! Mary will do it for us.
Ted: She won't mind?
Bill: Of course not! She's already sewn all the patches on our 10 mock-up shirts - what's a few more?
The next day finds Mary, Bill's wife, at her sewing machine, with a stack of shirts and patches. She sighs as she tries to sew the patches onto the sleeves.
Mary: Screw you, Bill.
Okay, that might be a bit harsh. But I'm trying to get my point across. And that point is, I hate sewing patches on sleeves. And, quite frankly, it's not so fun to sew patches on other parts of the shirt, either. (And with three boys who will be going through Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, the future looks rife with patch sewing...)
8 comments:
I KNOW what you mean!!! I don't mind the sleeves so much because once you've done that, it's done. But Loren is in Boy Scouts over the deacons right now. He has this patch place that is "temporary". It's over the pocket. So I have to hand sew all the temporary patches that he gets onto the pocket that he uses for everything. Ggggrrr, I hate it.
Nice story, but Bill and Ted's wives were named Elizabeth and Johanna. You know, THE PRINCESSES.
Also, best line from the first movie:
"Take them to the dungeon. Put them in the Iron Maiden.
IRON MAIDEN!!! "
@Ginger - I'm glad someone else understands my pain! :)
@Kevin - I realized the whole Bill and Ted thing after I had published the post, but decided to just stick with it as a sort of homage to one of the best films of all time.
You are too funny!
Not only that, those dang little badges are a racket! I couldn't believe how much of our budget goes toward buying awards. It's ridiculous!
I don't think Chris has gone to scouts wearing his scout shirt. Maybe because his wife won't sew on his new badges? And I know my Cub shirt is all sorts of wrong.
Hubby did 7 years in the military...lots of stripes to sew on, son was in the Scouts. I used Elmers white school glue and first glued the patches/stripes on, then sewed. It kept them from slipping out of position. I have also been known to use fusible interfacing. : ) And in a hurry....skipped sewing altogether! LOL
Hated sewing those things on!
Someone told me to use invisible thread, so no one can see the crooked stitches.
The arrows are the worst! I think someone told me there is a glue they sell at the scouting office. Never took time to figure that out. I wonder if adhesive velcro might work? Then you can actually re-use the shirt for your younger boys!
Post a Comment