Friday, July 13, 2012

Poor Poor Tessie Bessie

I'm such a bad mom.

No, really.

I took Tess in for her 15 month check-up today and the doctor discovered that she had a pretty ragin' ear infection.

"Has she been congested and fussier than normal?" Dr. Jonkman asked?

*face palm*

Yes.  Yes YES!  This girl has been congested and very much fussier than normal!!! 

Dang.

I would like to say that this is the first time this has ever happened, but no.  It also happened when Josh was a baby.  And Cole.  (Well, Cole pretty much had an ear infection all the time, so whatever.)  And let's be honest, probably Spencer as well, but we just never found out.

Tess was not happy with this examination.  She wanted her milk.

But I had forgotten it.

Because I'm a bad mom.

Then Tess had to have a quick blood draw to check for lead and iron levels.  And two immunizations.

So, not only did her ear hurt, but she got poked three times and still didn't have her precious milk!

Then it got better.  And by better I mean worse.  The doctor was a bit concerned about Tess still not walking.  She moved Tess's hips and legs and checked her all over.  We talked about how I've always had late walkers, but Tess is exceptionally late.  Right now she's about 8 months behind her peers as far as moving goes.

"I think you're right," Dr. Jonkman said.  "I think she's just being lazy and doesn't have the incentive to walk yet.  However, her hips keep popping, and her legs are not symmetrical.  I couldn't tell this last time because she was so fat.  But this concerns me."

(Side note: I love the fact that Tess was too fat during her last exam, especially because of all the issues she had with being underweight after she was born.  I might not be able to get my kids to walk, but I sure can fatten them up properly!)

So, off we went to Innervision (where Lance works) for a couple of x-rays of Tess's hips. 

We got the royal treatment, with lots of love and attention and the best techs who let Tess chew on yummy stickers and really just did a great job with her.  Despite all she had been through that morning - and the fact that she still did not have her milk (!) - Tess got through it all like a champ.

Sure, she fell apart on the way home after we had to get gas and pick up her prescription and get her brothers from their friends' house. (Hey, these things had to be done!)  But I completely forgave her for it, which I guess makes me not the most terrible mom in the world.

Lance called with good news - the radiologist looked at Tess's x-rays (we got bumped to the front of the queue because it's all about who you know, right?) and everything looked fine.

Which means, physically, she's perfect.

*whew!*

It also means that we have a very, very lazy baby on our hands.

A very fat, lazy baby.

Man, I love her.

No comments: