Friday, September 14, 2012

Happy Sixth Birthday, Josh!

**Note: I started this post yesterday and then burned a bunch of fingers.  Ouch.  So, future Josh, in case you're offended at the lateness of this post, that's why.  Oh - and push your glasses up.**

Yesterday was Joshie's 6th birthday. (And, consequently, the 6th anniversary of the LONGEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE.  Yes, I'm gonna link to his birth recap again.  And I'll probably do it again next year.  Because it was the LONGEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE.  Please excuse the PTSD.)

First, let me just say that I really enjoy Kindergarteners.  Seriously, they are so cute and (generally) happy and I thoroughly love having one in my home.  There is something extra-special about a Kindergartener having a birthday.  I can't quite put it into words, but trust me - it's there.  Josh was all aglow with birthday excitement!

That morning we had a very Joshie breakfast: Cherry Pop Tarts, fried eggs, and bananas. It should be noted that I enforced the bananas - Josh would never willingly choose to eat fresh fruit! (Shouldn't the cherry filling in the Pop Tarts count?)  But let's not judge the birthday boy too harshly. 

That morning I took Josh (and thus all the other kiddos) to school so I could drop off the official birthday cupcakes I had stayed up late to make.  I had planned to make them that afternoon, only to discover that I was out of dang cupcake wrappers.  But I was able to tun to the dollar store that night and found some wrappers that even came with birthday flags.  Score.


As I mentioned in the previous post, I had lunch with Joshie that day.  It was fun, enlightening, and made me appreciate only having 2 children at home for lunch.  (As opposed to 100 kindergarteners.)

That afternoon I let Josh have his first birthday present: a 64 count box of Crayola crayons.  Josh is really into coloring lately. A week or so he was doing some coloring for a homework assignment and I kind of got after him for just scribbling and not staying in the lines or even trying to make it look nice.  I guess those were some magic words, because he's been coloring and drawing very deliberately and carefully ever since.  Hooray!  I finally have a child interested in art!

I had been working on some posters for his birthday party that Josh was only too happy to help color.  He happily worked on the posters for over an hour!


The sticker the birthday boy got from school.  (Not sure if that's a cursive "o" gone wrong or his teacher made a mistake...)


Trying out the crayon sharpener.  That stupid sharpener has become the bane of my existence, since Josh has the tendency to sharpen too hard and break the crayons.  The horror!!


The birthday boy chose to go to Tepanyaki Grill & Supreme Buffet for dinner.  You wouldn't think that Josh would want a Chinese buffet, but this place also had a dessert bar, mac and cheese, pizza, french fries - all sorts of kid friendly food.  I had kind of low expectations going in, but was pleasantly surprised.  Was it the best food ever?  No.  But it was all pretty good - especially the coconut shrimp.  I love me some shrimp.  I would say this is probably the best buffet in Lafayette; a little pricey, but perfect for special occasions like this.

We let the kids eat (and not eat) whatever they wanted.  Spencer tried a bit of everything, including lots of my shrimp.  Josh mostly ate mac and cheese and desserts, which was to be expected.  Cole ate pizza, mac and cheese, and lots of fruit.  And Tess gorged herself on strawberries and french fries.  So healthy.

The kids were actually pretty well behaved there, which was something of a birthday miracle!  Although Josh decided he didn't want a picture with his brothers.


Gotcha - kinda - Josh!


After dinner we went home for presents.  I had convinced Josh that we didn't need a birthday cake since: 1) there was a dessert bar at the restaurant, 2) he had cupcakes at school, and 3) he would have a cake at his party on Saturday.

Josh was pretty good about it - especially because some of his gifts included candy.  (Like this cotton candy from the dollar store, which my kids luuurrve for some reason.)


I got lots of great shots of the birthday boy opening gifts.  He sure was happy!  Here's the Spongebob projector nightlight from Grandma Susie and Grandpa ElRay.  There was much rejoicing over this!




Tess enjoyed the ribbon.


Here's the Wii game he had really, really wanted: Super Mario Party 9.  Hooray!  Too bad we only allow the Wii and computer games on the weekend.  The sadness!


Some glow-in-the-dark bubbles from his siblings.



And Twister, also from Grandpa ElRay and Grandma Susie.  He wasn't so sure about this at first.


But then I pointed out that it was for players who were 6 years old and up - and that Josh was now 6 years old!!


Tessie enjoying the view.


Afterwards we played some Twister.  I then realized just how old and not-limber I now am.  But the boys had fun and Tess went crazy going across that plastic mat approximately 397 times, and then having a blast with the spinner.


I would have taken a final birthday picture of Josh, but he was too busy scarfing down gummy Spongebob candies and running around outside with his friends - in his opinion, the perfect way to end his birthday celebrations!

No comments: