Tess is ALL GIRL. She is a girly girl. She likes to choose her clothes and hugs them and preens and admires herself in the mirror every morning. She loves accessories. Necklaces, earrings, bangles and sparkles - she's all over it. If something looks like it could be an accessory then it becomes one. She loves baby dolls, getting them dressed and undressed, tucking them in with her at nap and bed times, talking to them, feeding them, playing with them. Tess likes shoes - oh, the shoes! "Shoooooooos!" And she likes dresses. And bows and flowers. She hasn't been introduced to fairies and princesses, yet, but it's only a matter of time and I am sure she will lurrrve them, too. She loves to cook and if I'm in the kitchen, she's there as well, ready and willing to "hep".
My boys, on the other hand, couldn't care less about any of these things.
Tess has come about this all on her own. We haven't forced anything on her and it's not like I go around saying "No! That's only for boys/girls." Tess just really likes traditionally girl things. It's in her nature.
This was reinforced yesterday. I was doing laundry - all day - and I kept missing laundry baskets. I would discover them in random rooms with random baby dolls and blankies in them. Heaven forbid I take the babies out and move the baskets. Tess threw fit after fit. It took me a while, but I finally figured out what she was saying during these tantrums: "No! NO! Bebe nigh-nigh! Bebe beh!" (Translation: Baby night night. Baby bed.)
She was tucking her babies in and putting them to bed.
Not in a million years would any of my boys have ever done this. Which is why it took me so long to figure things out. (Sorry, Tess - I'm a girl, but our house has been so testosterony for so long that I sometimes forget little girl basics.)
So I decided Tess's babies needed their own cradle. An empty diaper box and a baby blanket did the trick. No soon did I put the two together than Tessie rushed over with her doll, laid her gently down, and then proceeded to rock the baby night night.
This really took be back because we don't have a cradle and I really don't think Tess has ever seen one, unless it was on some random cartoon or something. It just seemed so natural and second nature to her.
I love my boys - they're great fun. But I also really like having a little girl around the house!
1 comment:
The first time Millie wrapped up her baby doll, patted its back and whispered, "Shhhh baby, nigh-nigh" I about melted into a puddle of goo. So sweet. I melt a little bit every time she does it.
I'm sort of freaking out over having a boy. But some of the things you mentioned (like not wanting to be such a great little helper in the kitchen, etc) sound sort of appealing. Coming from a family of girls, I'm glad to be reminded that they're hardwired for gender. Phew.
Post a Comment