Tuesday, August 13, 2013

3rd Annual Madsen Back-to-School Night

This year I let the kiddos choose the meal for our annual back-to-school night.  Their choice?  Nachos.  I was a little hesitant about this at first, but then I had a few realizations: 1) Nachos are just open-faced tacos, and we eat tacos for dinner. 2) If I let them have what they wanted there would be no complaining at dinner time, making our back-to-school evening all the better.  Nachos it was!

Josh decided to be a punk and hide from the picture.  Punkety punk.  (Deidra: your pasta bowls also happen to make excellent nacho bowls!  Bet you're wishing you had hung on to them now!)


Every school year we have a new theme for our family.  This year's theme is:


Why yes, that sign does match my living room perfectly.  Funny how that works out...

Lance gave a really good lesson on choosing the right/standing for the right even if you're the only one to do so.  The dominoes represented people when everyone succumbs to peer pressure and "falls down".  Well, Lance put it much more eloquently.  I listened as best I could, but was also trying to keep Cole and Tess from knocking the object lesson down.

Here's a little bit of it at the end:



Tess was NOT HAPPY about not being able to sit right next to the table.  It's as if we didn't trust her or something...



Cole reaaaallly wanted to knock those dominoes down.  It was all he could do to behave himself.


Lance taught about how Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednago all stood up against King Nebuchadnezzar, even though it was really hard and really scary.  The boys were most impressed with the part where the fire was so hot that it killed the guards who were throwing Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednago into the furnace.


We then had Lance give each boy a Father's Blessing.  (Tess didn't want one, and why fight with a 2 year old about that?)  As per usual, there was much fighting and weeping and wailing leading up to it, but the kids all behaved during the actual blessings.  Miracles, people, miracles.

We ended the evening with eating a rather large batch of peanut butter and jelly muddy buddies out on the back lawn.  The weather was just perfect and the muddy buddies were tasty.  No one even stepped in the bowl until the very end.  (Because someone stepping in the bowl was inevitable...)

It was a good evening.  I have high hopes for this school year!


No comments: