Sunday, August 4, 2013

Cub Scout Day Camp

Spencer got to go to Cub Scout Day Camp last week.  In his words: 

"It. Was. AWESOME!!! Except for the pool.  The pool was freezing."

I'm sure the water in the pool was cold - it was a rather chilly and extremely unusually mild week here in Indiana. (And Spencer has 0% body fat.) I don't think the boys realized how luck they had it; it's usually blazing hot this time of year.

Anywho, as interesting as the weather is, back to day camp.  Spencer did fun things like archery, bb gun shooting, arts and crafts, hiking, swimming, and other sundry activities.  He's already reached that stage where it's like pulling teeth getting info out of him.  Perhaps I should have him write a post about it.  (As if he'd ever agree to do that.)  Suffice it to say, he loved camp and I'm really glad he got to go.

On the last day of camp there was a family camp fire, where each pack got to do a skit and awards and such were given out.  You can imagine just how fun it was.  (I'm a bad scouting mom in that I'm not very enthusiastic about it.  As my friend Gigi says, I can't be good at everything.  And I'm not.  I am sooo not.)

I tried to do video of Spencer's skit, but it didn't turn out well. And I only got a few pictures, none of them with Spencer in them.  Go figure.  But here's one picture, just to give you an idea of what it looked like.


We suffered through enjoyed all two hours with our friends the Asays and the Reams.  Josh behaved pretty well (as far as I know - he was sitting with the Reams), but Tess and Cole were another story.  You just imagine how fun it was to sit on benches and watch skits you could barely hear.  By the end Tess was throwing gravel at the people in front of us.  Yeah, it was pretty fun.

Kinley (who is three) tried to reign Tess in, but no dice.


The Reams with two of my kids.  (Thanks, Gigi and Craig!)  I never did get a picture of the Asays.  Perhaps next time?  (Ugh.  Next time.)


How Lance controls toddlers.  (Actually, she just wanted to stand like this.)


As her shirt proclaims, "and though she be but little she is fierce"!


The mighty scouts of pack 8!  From left to right: Zeniff, Spencer (who decided not to wear his shirt that day.  Oh well - he looks pretty great in his rugby shirt grandpa and grandma got him in Scotland!), Logan, Chris, and Ethan.  These boys.  I love 'em.  I can't wait to see what they're like as teenagers. (Or maybe I can...)


Afterwards we all went to Dairy Queen for dinner.  We sat on the patio and enjoyed the lovely weather and awesome company.  I didn't get too many pictures because I was too busy gabbing and eating. That's the sign of a nice evening.


Apparently Bergen really enjoyed her ice cream!


Not the greatest picture, but I wanted to remember that we had an adults only (plus Tess) table, which was nice.  We decided to call ourselves the "Townies" since all three of our families are permanent to Lafayette.  (As opposed to all of the students who live here.) (Not that I don't like the student families.  In fact, I LOVE many of the student families!  But it's nice to know that there are some people who won't be leaving me, sad and alone, any time soon. ;)  It was so nice to sit back and chat and learn the history of auto sales in Lafayette (thanks, Kevin!).  The kids all played so nicely, too!


This is something we'll definitely have to do again sometime soon.  (The dinner and chatting - not the family campfire. Oy.)

No comments: