Lance had a very adult birthday this year. Adult in that it was not much celebrated on his actual birthday. Poor Lance.
The day started well. Since it was Tuesday I figured it would be fun to have pancake tacos for breakfast. (Taco Tuesday...) The idea was great, the execution not so much. Pancakes full of scrambled eggs and bacon are hard to hold. But it all tasted fantastic, and that's what really matters. I made a pancake the size of a dinner plate, and that was pretty fantastic as well.
The kids gave Lance the cards they had made for him the day before. My favorite was Coles, because it was so very Coley. He made me write "Daddy, your birthday is Tuesday, June 9th." Cole wrote "And you are going to turn 37. Love Cole." You know, just in case Lance forgot that information.
And thus endeth the pictures I took on that day. I didn't even get one of the birthday boy. I barely even saw the birthday boy.
Lance was at work all day, as per usual. Around 2pm Spencer started to complain about ear pain, and I was 100% sure it was swimmer's ear. A quick emergency trip to the pediatrician confirmed this. By the time we were done with the doctor appointment it was almost time for the first of two parties we were going to that night. Plus, that party was in Battle Ground, and it didn't make sense to go all the way home when we were already in town and halfway there. So we drove separately and met up there.
The first (non-Lance-birthday) party was for our friends the Frys. The Frys moved to Indiana to go to school a year after we did. Which means they have been here for TEN YEARS. (Two years longer than they had planned.) If it had been anyone else we probably would've skipped the party and gone out to eat for Lance's birthday. But it was the Frys and their graduating and getting a job and moving was a pretty big deal. (We were sure it was really happening or just a rumor and had to see it for ourselves.) ((Just kidding, Heidi.))
The party was held at the Munguia's home, which is big and sprawling and had a huge lawn and game room, which the kids loved. It was nice to catch up with people from the first ward who we don't get to see much of. I sat at a table with the Grishoms, Dixons, and Provonshas and realized that when we first moved to Lafayette these were the "old" established families who had been around for a long time - but now THAT'S US. We are now one of the old established families who came for school and stayed. Mind blown.
We had to leave the Fry party early in order to make it to the Asay's ice cream party. But first we had to get through the hell that is West Lafayette construction traffic. Good heavens, it was the pits.
The ice cream party was really great and it was fun to chat with friends from our ward. The kids had a blast and ran around like wild lunatics and ate a ton of sugar. I had to leave for about 20 minutes to pick up Spencer's prescription before the pharmacy closed, so that was a bummer. But it was still a nice night.
By the time we made it home it was well past bed time, but we still had to open Lance's gifts. And by gifts I mean I put slips of paper in the punchboard (Remember? I made one for Cole's birthday, and it was awesome.) and Lance had to punch them to get them out. He was nice enough to let the kids punch some for him. He won things like a hug from Cole and playing computer with Spencer and a box of Fruity Pebbles all for himself. I gave him an overnight stay at the end of the month for us in Indy, as well as one for when we're out in Utah this summer. (I am awesome, right?)
When that was all done we thought it was time for bed, until we realized Cole was freaking out. "Daddy's NOT 37 yet! Not yet! He has to blow out the candles!" Apparently you do not age unless a candle is blown out. Where was this piece of information five years ago?! Ha. Well, we had no cake, so Lance got out a tea light, lit it, we sang Happy Birthday, and then he blew it out. And magically he turned 37 and Cole was satisfied.
Lest you think Lance really was picked on, he had a big LAN party here last night. (It should be called and LANce party...) I think a grand time was had by all. I made three trays of cheeseburger sliders and there was a TON of junk food the few times I ventured downstairs. I had intentions of taking a few pictures but completely forgot about it. I blame the wafts of testosterone that emanated from the basement all evening.
A happy, happy birthday to you, Lance! I hope you had a good birthday and week.
If I had Cole write a card for me for you, it would say something along the lines of "You are married to Maren. She loves you very, very much. I want to go to Minnesota. When are we going there? Love, Cole."


No comments:
Post a Comment