Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Last Day of School

Oh man. It's kinda hard to believe the kids are already out of school. WHO GETS OUT OF SCHOOL ON MAY 20TH?!?! Hoosiers, that's who. And who goes back to school August 16th? You know who. Ridiculous.

Regardless of my feelings on the matter, the last day of school came. And it was chilly. Because it's May. Growl.

I almost forgot to take last day of school pictures, which is why these are a bit out of order. Oh well.

Here's Mr. Cole - Kindergartener no more! He's completely and totally ready for 1st grade. Heck, if you've talked to him you know he's probably ready for 3rd grade. Just don't tell Josh.


And here's my soon-to-be 4th grader. Yes, he was pulling a Tess. No, it was not to be funny. He was being a SUPER PUNK GROUCH that morning. That child... I am having a time with him lately, that's for sure. He keeps talking about his 10th birthday, but I'm not sure we're both gonna make it that far...


This was the best I could get out of him. And don't ask me about the all red clothes, or the baseball socks with shorts. It's a fashion statement. (What kind of fashion statement, I don't know. I'm not a 3rd grade boy and I don't claim to understand them.)



I went to help one last time in Cole's class with their last day of school party. It was as wild as you would expect. Oh boy, it was wild. Their teacher is a brave soul and let the kids make ice cream sundaes as a treat. Here's Cole and and Carlos enjoying theirs. (Carlos is so super cute. I love that kid!)


Tess got to tag along and be a kindergartener for the day. She was in HEAVEN. Totally in her element. Until she didn't get her way. Then... she showed how young she still is. She lost it when she thought she wasn't getting a birthday cupcake. (Yes, some mother sent birthday cupcakes piled high with florescent frosting on the last day of school. People. Do not do that to our teachers; they deserve better.) Anyways, as we were leaving the party we had a little talk about how none of the other students cried or had tantrums. Tess could not do this next year in Kindergarten - she was too big for that, right? She agreed, but I'm not holding my breath...


Ah, here's Spencer. I can't believe he'll be in 7th grade! I remember feeling so old, so grown up in 7th grade. Good heavens.


I was having a great hair day, but the wind had other ideas. Stupid wind.


Obligatory selfie while waiting for the bus.



This is the last time any of the Madsens will have a younger sibling patiently waiting for them to get off the bus! *sniff*sniff*




We had our annual last day of school treasure hunt. It was mucho fun. The kids had a great time, and I had a good time chatting with our neighbor and giving hints on the harder clues. They especially liked that I had clue hidden inside balloons this year.



They eventually found the treasure! It was quickly divvied up.


Some of the treasure was silly string, which was quickly used in a battle in the back yard. We also had water balloons in the treasure, but it was too cold for those. Stupid weather.


That night we broke out our fire pit for the first time and had hot dogs and s'mores with our neighbors. It was so nice! But the weather had other plans and instead of enjoying a leisurely evening by the fire we had to call it quits by 8pm because of rain. Stupid weather. (But not before I had a s'more, so life wasn't too bad!)


The next day I got rid of all the school junk that got sent home. This is really only about half; the rest had been thrown out during the previous few days. So glad I spent all that money on supplies that got used a few times. Growl.


But, no more complaining! School's out, no more schedules, no more lunches to pack, no more homework! Life is pretty good.

No comments: