Sunday, June 3, 2007

A Lovely Day

Yesterday Lance and I attended the wedding of two good friends, Maura Boyle and John Duckworth. The best word to describe the entire event is lovely.

The ceremony took place at St. John of the Cross in Western Springs, IL (just outside of Chicago). I had never gone to a Catholic wedding mass before, and I thought it was really nice. The music was especially beautiful; we were accompanied by a quartet that also played traditional Celtic music as prelude. The groom was handsome and the bride absolutely beautiful, of course!



The reception was held at Butterfield Country club - very fancy! We enjoyed a great dinner, great conversation, and great band. The only bad part was that Lance and I couldn't stay as long as we wanted - we had to get home to the kiddos. But it was really nice to get out of the house without the kids, even if for just a day. I got to carry a purse that was way too small to carry any sort of child paraphernalia! (The picture is of us during cocktail hour out on the patio of the country club, just before dinner, enjoying our sodas. :)


I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I wanted, but that's because I decided what I really wanted to do was enjoy the moment and not be in "blogger mode" for this event. :)

I did, however, manage to get a short video of the happy couple and their first dance - very impressive, Mr. and Mrs. Duckworth!


My friend Ashley Bodie and I had fun talking about and comparing the weddings we had been to. Some were fancy, most were fairly simple. But we decided that no matter how glamorous or how common the wedding, they all ended the same way: with a happy married couple!

Congratulations, John and Maura! Thanks for inviting us to such a wonderful event!

3 comments:

ashley.and.graham said...

I'm so excited I made the blog! ;) So glad we got to spend some time with you two yesterday. (p.s. There is accidentally an "L" the first time you typed Maura)

Maren said...

Oops - thanks for catching the typo. We were happy to spend some time with you, too. Were you able to make it to IKEA?

Anonymous said...

Maren... Your blog is so cool! Maura and I are honored to have a spot in it. Thanks for all the kind things you had to say. The video clip was a HUGE hit just after our wedding. It was the first video we had seen and I think Maura watched it about 10 times in a row. :) I’m so glad you and Lance were able to help us celebrate our wedding. It meant a lot to us.