Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Day Off

I had grand plans for the day - cleaning, organizing, bathing the kids...

But then I realized that everything on my list (except the bathing) would just need to be done again before I head out to UT (pronounced 'oot') next week. And everything on my list (except the bathing) really could be put off until Saturday.

So I decided to take the day off. I wanted to read, watch a movie with the kids, lounge around.

So far on my day off I have:
  • Cleaned the entire kitchen after Joshie conducted a physics experiment involving a bowl full of soggy Wheaties.
  • Wiped down the entire bathroom after the boys practiced their tsunami dives in the tub.
  • Comforted a hurt child, dodged some flying cars, and threatened a certain child with eternal time out if he didn't turn the lights back on RIGHT NOW; and all that was just while I was in the shower.
  • Cleaned out and reorganized my baking pantry because I couldn't find the brownie mix I needed but knew was in there somewhere.
  • Discovered the aforementioned brownie mix in the garage pantry while searching for some chocolate chips I was going to use to make 'real' brownies. Then I pulled Josh down from the second shelf, which he had climbed during my search.
  • Made 'garbage' brownies for Picnics in the Park tomorrow (at the Purdue fountain - the most fun picnic of the year!). ((Garbage brownies consist of a brownie mix with whatever leftover 'goodies' I can find in my pantry. Today it was 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows, 1/2 a bag of white chocolate chips, and two chopped Hershey bars.))
  • Negotiated several peace accords between the two fighting political factions who live in my home. Why can't the Joshibans and the Spencerites just get along?!
  • Helped my little bakers with their play dough creations. And by helped I mean getting it all out, setting it all up, making a few snakes, and convincing the boys that they were old enough to help clean up when they were done 10 minutes later.
  • Made lunch for two starving little monkeys, who proceeded to complain because I had cut their sandwiches into heart shapes. Apparently monkeys only eat square sandwiches.
All that and it's only 11:30am.

So far it's been a pretty good day off!